Column: Is she out of your league?

When the movie “She’s Out of My League” was released on March 12, it got me thinking whether the whole premise and theme of the movie was realistic.

The question: Which is more important in looking for a significant other. Physical beauty or a good personality?

I spent the better part of two weeks speaking with more than 50 women on campus trying to determine what they look for in a man. But my ultimate goal was determining if the “rating system” discussed in “She’s Out of My League” truly did exist.

Most women I spoke to said they did not use the rating system themselves, but almost all claimed they thought other women did.

So, I decided to dive in and tempt fate, asking women if they would rate me, right there on the spot.

My “rating” ranged from six to an eight point five, with me taking my shirt off twice at the request of the women so they could better judge me, not that I protested that request.

After my “fact-finding mission” across campus, I realized I had gained something of an internal cheat sheet to gauging whether women were interested in a particular man.

I put this theory to work at several social get-togethers over the weekend. Suddenly, I could tell when a woman was “into” a man or when she was totally turned off and simply being polite.

I performed a little experiment to put this “social politeness” theory to the test.

When speaking with some women, I asked for their number and gave them mine. I noticed some simply scribbled the number on their notebook instead of saving it in their phone.

I think if one of those aforementioned women would have really wanted my number, they would have saved it to their phone rather than a piece of paper, is much easier to crumble and throw away.

In the end, it seems women – and men, let’s by honest – tend to make up their mind on a man based on the first impression of looks. While some may wait and give the man a chance to impress with conversation and a strong personality, I believe if you fall shorter than a six on their “rating” system, you’re probably in trouble.

I would like to thank the participants across Eastern’s campus who aided in my social study. Along with what I believe proves undeniably the existence of the “rating system,” I received some interesting quotes that I submit for your interpretation, Eastern:

“Girls tend to think about sex way more than guys do, even though most people believe guys think about it more. It is always on our mind. Sometimes, I’ll think about it a lot during class,” Woman No. 49 surprisingly said.

“Girls tend not to like the nice guys because the nice guys often end up being way too clingy and no girl wants that,” Woman No. 34 said.

“I think that guys not only should, but it is basically the rule that if a guy wants to talk to a girl than he should go to her, she should not have to come to him,” Woman No. 43 said.

While my long and tiring experiment proved to me that looks do matter and the “rating system” does exist, ultimately, it seems even women don’t really know what they want.

Guys, it looks like we don’t have a chance.

Steve Puschmann is a freshman journalism major and can be reached at [email protected] or 581-7942.

Column: Is she out of your league?

Column: Is she out of your league?

Spring cleaning is the perfect time to gather up all of the things you don’t really need or use and sell them in a yard sale. Rather than simply throwing things away, holding a yard sale is a more environmentally friendly option (because you’re not sending all of those items to the landfill) and it can also give your wallet a little extra padding.