RHA helps make a wish come true

The Resident Hall Association meeting at Thomas Hall began with the discussion of one of the association’s upcoming events – Pie Day.

RHA president Karla Browning said Pie Day is going to take place at Carman Hall on April 15. Students will be able to hurl pies at their favorite RHA executive board members, advisers and hall presidents after the RHA meeting has been completed.

“It’s going to be really exciting and a lot of fun,” Browning said.

All money raised at the event will go to National Residence Hall Honorary and RHA scholarships. All students are encouraged to come out and throw a pie.

The new business on the agenda was guest speaker student Meg Ryan. She is a part of the Eastern Make-A-Wish foundation. Three other members and Ryan asked the RHA for help raising money.

They have found a candidate to make a wish come true; his name is Joel, he has had cystic fibrosis since he was 10-years-old. His dream was to be in a movie, which he got to do. Joel just finished filming for the movie “Earth Bound,” but the cost of the trip still needs to be covered. The movie stars Kate Hudson and Whoopi Goldberg.

“Definitely go check out the movie because Joel is in it,” Ryan said

The group is helping pay for the cost with a fundraiser night a Monical’s Pizza on Monday. They must raise $5,000. Students who attend must bring a blue flyer and 20 percent of their order will be donated. The restaurants participating are in Charleston, Mattoon and Shelbyville. Flyers are available in the resident halls.

Secretary Shannon Davis reminded RHA and NRHH members to RSVP to the banquet on April 29.

Treasurer Dan Clark asked for the help of RHA members with making final exam kits after the Lincoln Hall meeting on April 22.

The next meeting is at Thursday at Carman Hall.

Rob Mortell can be reached at 581-7942 or

[email protected]

RHA helps make a wish come true

RHA helps make a wish come true

RHA president Karla Browing talks about the wall of oppression that RHA sponsored during the RHA meeting Thursday evening in Thomas Hall. (Audrey Sawyer / The Daily Eastern News)