Census counts on- and off-campus students, too

The U.S. Census Bureau begins its count of the entire American population this month, and Eastern students are no exception.

The bureau considers university student participation important because students are a hard-to-count group, and because of students’ suitability in filling temporary Census 2010 jobs. Census data will affect university grant and loan programs.

On-campus residents will receive census forms during the week of April 11-16.

Mark Hudson, director of Housing and Dining Services, said the housing department formed a plan and has met with the census staff. In the beginning of April, the census staff will meet with a university supervisory committee to receive exact instructions on how to complete the census process.

Charleston City Planner Steve Pamperin said the census count is critical to Charleston receiving its portion of revenue for projects that can directly affect the student body.

“The U.S. Census Bureau, EIU and the City of Charleston are all partners in trying to achieve the most complete and accurate count as possible,” Pamperin said.

For students living in off-campus housing, census forms will be mailed to residences in March. All students who live at the same off-campus residence are considered to be one household and only one census form should be completed.

“EIU students are counted as part of Charleston’s population,” Pamperin said.

Students who commute and live full-time at their parent or guardians’ residence will be included on their parent or guardians’ household census form.

Because everyone living in the U.S. on April 1, 2010 is to be counted, international students and non-citizens of the U.S. should still complete census forms. However, those university students who are participating in study abroad programs or living internationally as of April 1 should not fill out census forms and will not be included in the 2010 census data.

Hudson said the university is committed to accuracy.

“We will do all we can to ensure a complete and accurate count,” Hudson said.

The U.S. Constitution requires a census every 10 years. An accurate count determines the number of seats each state will have in the U.S. House of Representatives and the apportionment of more than $400 billion in federal funds.

These funds are used on infrastructure such as schools, roads, hospitals and services including emergency service and job training centers.

Pamperin said these revenues are extremely important for the city of Charleston.

“It is estimated that each person represents approximately $300 in revenue per person, per year,” Pamperin said. “The population count in 2010 is used until the next census count in 2020.”

Chacour Koop can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected]

Census counts on- and off-campus students, too

Brandy Provaznik, 21, of 227 Jackson Ave., was arrested at 3:25 a.m. Sunday at Seventh and Roosevelt. Provaznik was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and released from the UPD at 5:55 a.m. after posting 10 percent of a $1,000 bond, the UPD said.