Students disregard poster policy

It has been more than one year since Internal Governing Policy 138.1 went into effect, but some of those who are posting fliers are ignoring it entirely.

Bulletin boards in Buzzard and Coleman halls are still covered with fliers on top of fliers; multiple copies of the same flier are still being posted on the same bulletin board. And while many fliers have received a stamp of approval from campus scheduling, many have not.

All these examples are a violation of the university’s posting policy.

The bulletin board in Coleman Hall’s southwest stairwell is covered with so many fliers that some have taped fliers to the wall directly below it.

The bulletin board adjacent to Buzzard Hall’s student lounge currently features four of the same flier that is advertising job openings; none of which have been approved by campus scheduling.

Dan Nadler, vice president of student affairs, said there are many parties responsible for monitoring the various bulletin boards around campus authorized for use by the campus scheduling office.

“A variety of individuals assist in helping to clear outdated materials from bulletin boards. Some bulletin boards are used more frequently and heavily than others,” Nadler said.

Nadler said the policy, which generated some controversy when it went into effect last year, was written in part because of complaints from students.

“Students frequently discussed how the bulletin boards were ineffective as an advertising tool, especially in a free for all ‘postings on top of postings’ environment,” Nadler said “We are now allowed to remove out of date postings after the 30-day period or when the event is over.”

The policy states that all fliers in public areas need advance approval from Campus Scheduling and must be stamped with the approval date. Also, fliers should not exceed 11 inches by 27 inches.

Nadler said the policy has been revised once since it went into effect, but only minor changes were made.

“The Internal Governing Policy was revised last semester,” Nadler said. “Through the process or reviewing and researching posting behaviors, we added some larger bulletin boards in Coleman Hall. Otherwise, there has been no change this semester.”

Nadler said the policy is similar to those at other state schools.

“The policies in place at EIU mirror best practices at many public institutions of higher education in the state,” Nadler said.

Jason Hardimon can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

Students disregard poster policy

Students disregard poster policy

Even though Internal Governing Policy 138.1 governing fliers went into effect a year ago, many people posting fliers still ignore getting the stamp of approval.(Photo Illustration by Amir Prellberg/The Daily Eastern News)