Panther Nation clarifying funds

The student senate will have a final vote on Wednesday to determine the fate of the fan bus approved last week by the Apportionment Board.

The board allocated $1,870 to the student government budget Thursday. to provide a bus to transport students to the women’s basketball tournament in Nashville, Tenn. taking place on March 6 and 7.

Last year’s tournament bus was approved by the board members when they were approached by members of the former Blue Crew.

As such, a proposal for the student senate to co-sponsor the trip has been deemed emergency legislation.

In the effort to fulfill her campaign promise to improve school spirit on campus, Student Body President Michelle Murphy will appeal to senate members prior to the vote to support the trip.

Murphy is one of four directors of Panther Nation.

Since confusion has surfaced in the student senate regarding the status of Panther Nation and the rules regarding the allocation of funds, Murphy has taken the time to clarify its role and position in student government.

“Panther Nation is not an RSO,” Murphy said. “The student groups have always been out of student government, at least at their origination. I wanted it set up to be part of student government because it’s a group that does student activities, so I felt it would be appropriate to give it possible access to student activity fee funds.”

Murphy said although Panther Nation is a leg of student government, it is not operated through student government or included in the budget.

It was created after the 2009-2010 budget was approved, inhibiting the appropriation of funds.

“The (student body) Constitution doesn’t need to allow Panther Nation to operate, and student government doesn’t operate it,” Murphy said. “It’s operated by a board of directors; it was just created as a part of student government.”

The group, which currently consists of 444 members, is supported by co-sponsorships with different groups, contributions from Eastern Athletics and from the $20 membership dues that are paid upon joining, Murphy said.

Murphy said the data regarding how many members have attended games has not yet been processed.

She has begun seeking donations of prizes for drawings and contests conducted for the organization.

Murphy said she encourages student senate members to approve the trip at Wednesday’s meeting.

“It helps students and it’s a fun activity,” Murphy said at Thursday’s AB meeting. “I hope student government recognizes that. It’s important to look at this with an open mind, because to not approve it would be a big mistake for student government.”

Murphy said she finds it interesting that people still question the foundation of Panther Nation in an accusatory manner.

“The group did nothing abnormal during its formation and it says a lot about a campus when they’re more concerned with why we have school spirit and less concerned with being a part of it,” Murphy said.

Erica Whelan can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Panther Nation clarifying funds

Panther Nation clarifying funds

Eastern’s writing-intensive graduation requirement will be discussed at the faculty senate meeting at 2 p.m. today in the Booth Library Conference Room.