Retention rate above national average

Of 10 students who attend Eastern their freshman year, eight will return the next year.

Eastern’s freshman to sophomore retention rate is 80.8 percent, the 23rd highest among masters institutions throughout the Midwest, and nearly 10 percent higher than the national average, according to the U.S. News & World Report, “America’s Best Colleges 2010.”

Blair Lord, vice president for academic affairs, said there is nothing shocking about these figures.

“Over the last 15 years or so, Eastern’s first-year retention rate has ranged between 78 and 82 percent, Lord said. “In other words, it has been quite stable. Of that we are very proud; although, we are always striving to improve it.”

More selective institutions usually have higher retention rates.

“Small, highly selective liberal arts institutions typically have very high retention and graduation rates; highly selective large universities, public or private, have high but not quite so high rates, more heterogeneous institutions somewhat lower, and so on.”

There is more to retention rates than selectivity. Quality of the educational experience and the ability of the institution to develop campus loyalty in students are also significant variables, Lord said.

Lord and Dan Nadler, vice president for student affairs, agree that Eastern’s committed faculty keep Eastern’s retention rates high.

“The most significant factor contributing to our success includes excellent faculty and staff who care deeply about the academic and personal development of our students,” Nadler said. “The personal attention we offer at Eastern makes a significant difference in student retention, satisfaction and graduate rates.”

The portion of Eastern classes taught by full-time faculty is significantly higher than that at many competitor institutions, Lord said. The only state school that consistently has high retention rates is the University of Illinois, Lord said.

“Retention at such ‘flagship universities’ is usually higher than at more heterogeneous institutions such as Eastern, Lord said.

“We typically compete with Illinois State University for the next best retention rate among Illinois, public universities.”

The New Student Programs series and University Foundations contribute to the development of loyalty to the campus and a comprehensive and coherent transition to the university, Nadler said. This includes an excellent residential experience that fosters academic and personal development, and an array of co-curricular involvement opportunities including a strong shared governance philosophy, Nadler said

“Our integrative learning experience and the complementary experiences offered by Student Affairs all seek to ensure a rich experience for our students, thereby, giving them a strong connection to our university,” Lord said.

Nadler said maintaining stable retention rates is a high priority.

“Certainly in recent memory our student retention, satisfaction and graduate rates have been excellent. We aim to be the best in the Midwest and among the very best in the country,” Nadler said.

Jason Hardimon can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected]

Retention rate above national average

Retention rate above national average

Senior freestyle Brian Strole competes during the sweep against Saint Louis and the last home meet of his Panther Swimming career. During the Summit Meet over the weekend he competed in the 200 and 400 yard medley relays, as well as the 200 yard freestyle