Sprinkler system in campus dormitories up for BOT approval

Two renovation projects, which will include the installation of sprinkler systems in residence halls, are slated for approval at the board of trustees meeting on Friday.

The projects will cost a total of $4.7 million.

The installation of sprinkler systems in Lincoln Hall, among other renovations, is projected to cost $3.4 million. The installation of sprinkler systems in Thomas Hall is projected to cost $1.3 million, said Mark Hudson, director of university housing and dining services.

Room and board fees paid by students living in the residence halls provided all funding for the sprinkler systems, Hudson said.

State legislation requires that all residence halls on a college campus feature sprinkler systems within the next three years. Currently, Lincoln, Thomas, Ford, McKinney and Weller are without sprinklers.

According to he Fire Sprinkler Act, which passed in Illinois in 2005, “Fire sprinkler systems are required in the dormitories of all post-secondary educational institutions by 2013. This includes current structures as well as newly constructed dormitories.”

Hudson said plans for completing the installation of sprinkler systems in all residence halls on campus by the government-mandated deadline are on schedule.

“Following the installation of sprinklers in Lincoln Hall this summer, we’ll be over 75 percent finished with the project,” Hudson said.

Eastern Safety Officer Gary Hanebrink said work on the Lincoln and Thomas projects is expected to begin shortly after graduation in May, and should be completed in August before the fall 2010 semester.

“Lincoln and Thomas will be the sixth and seventh buildings on campus to be retrofitted with sprinklers and fire alarm systems,” Hanebrink said.

Taylor Hall is to be retrofitted with sprinkler and fire alarm systems in summer 2011. The Triad complex- – Ford, McKinney and Weller Halls – will be retrofitted with fire alarm and sprinkler systems the following summer.

In 1993, a fire started in Carman Hall, which severely damaged the structure’s sixth floor and temporarily displaced 60 residents.

Three years later, Eastern began the task of updating the residence halls with fire alarm and sprinkler systems. This was 10 years before any legislation that required state schools to do so, Hanebrink said.

“The university felt that fire safety was No. 1 in residence halls and they chose Pemberton Hall as the first of which to be updated,” he said.

Hanebrink said Pemberton Hall presented a challenge because it is a historical building and the design had to be adapted.

Hudson said the sprinkler system design at Eastern protects students and their property while not sacrificing aesthetics.

“I’m very pleased about the way we have designed this system,” Hudson said, “We don’t have exposed pipes running down hallways like at some schools.”

Jason Hardimon can be reached at 581-7942

or [email protected]

Sprinkler system in campus dormitories up for BOT approval

Sprinklers hanging from the ceiling in the Human Services Building offer protection from fire. The board of trustees will look into two renovation projects that include the installation of sprinkler systems in dorms. The project is expected to cost $4.7 m