New decade brings new resolutions

The corks have been popped, the fireworks have gone off and kisses were exchanged at the stroke of midnight to bid farewell to 2009 and ring in the new year.

Unlike the tattered party hats and trampled confetti, new resolutions are still bright and shiny in the light of a new decade.

But now more than a week later and with the start of a new semester, the true test of wills has begun.

Michael Scanlan, a freshman art major, is determined to quit smoking, something he has not attempted before.

“I have a feeling it’s not going to happen,” Scanlan said.

While he plans to slowly decrease how many cigarettes he smokes, Scanlan said he will have to struggle with stress, fatigue and frustration.

Katie Kelley, who transferred to Eastern this semester and she is a sophomore history major said she’s starting off the year with a resolution to be healthier and more focused.

“The whole freshman-15 thing hit me and I need it to go away,” Kelley said.

Her steps to accomplishing her resolution include eating less junk food and going to the Student Recreation Center daily.

“I know I can do it, I just have to focus,” Kelley said.

Rather than limiting himself to just one resolution, Ian Winston, a senior art major and member of the track team, has several.

After he graduates, Winston hopes to get a job, keep training for track and continue to work on his music.

Still, he knows they won’t happen overnight, saying “it just takes time.”

Jennifer Lutterbie, a junior family consumer science major, was prompted by her grades from last semester to concentrate more on her academics.

She’s confident a little motivation will help her keep her other resolution to exercise more.

“I’m going to Vegas over spring break so I have to look good,” Lutterbie said.

Emily Steele can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

New decade brings new resolutions

New decade brings new resolutions

Senior kinesiology major George Howe lifts weights and works out Sunday afternoon in the Student Recreation Center to start his new year off healthy. (Amir Prellberg/The Daily Eastern News)