Ground breaks on energy center

Paul McCann’s opening remarks summed up the spirit of the groundbreaking ceremony for the Renewable Energy Center on Nov. 20.

“In accordance with the season, we’ll do a little thanks giving,” he said.

Of the mountain of thanks, McCann, director of business services and treasurer, received the largest from President Bill Perry.

“I want Paul McCann to come over here for a hug,” Perry said. “I think he wore a groove in the road from here to Springfield when we were trying to get this project going.”

Paul Barden, vice president and general manager of Honeywell International, reminded the crowd that the project is just beginning.

“Today’s important, but let’s face it,” Barden said. “It’s just the beginning of the most important part, building it over the next year or two.”

Construction on the biomass facility began the previous week and will continue for 18 to 24 months. Honywell will oversee the construction of the center, as well as smaller energy conservation measures throughout campus, which in total will cost $80 million.

Representatives for students and the university, as well as State Sen. Dale Righter, R-Mattoon, and State Rep. Chapin Rose, R-Mahomet, spoke at the ceremony.

Righter told the crowd that many people played more significant roles in the process than he and Rose.

“We’re the ones who are always invited to come speak, but there are people here who did so much more,” Righter said. “Dr. Jill (Nilsen), thank you so much.”

Rose noted that the project is beneficial to many people, not just the university.

“This is going to be a trifecta,” Rose said. “It’s great for tax payers, because it isn’t costing them anything, it’s great for students, and it’s great for employment in Coles County.”

The environmentally friendly plant will not only save the university money, but will also further its reputation as a green campus.

“We’re going to have a new era of green and renewable energy on this campus,” Eric Wilber, student executive vice president, said.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the center will reduce electricity consumption by an estimated 6.2 million kilowatt-hours per year, which equates to enough energy to power more than 580 homes annually.

Carbon dioxide emissions will also decrease by about 20,000 metric tons each year, the equivalent to removing more than 3,600 cars from the road.

Sarah Ruholl can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

Ground breaks on energy center

Ground breaks on energy center

Paul McCann, director of business services and treasurer, laughs after the official groundbreaking of the Renewable Energy Center on Nov. 20.(Eric Hiltner/The Daily Eastern News)