EIU students speak up and out at EIU Reads

More than 60,000 people worldwide have contributed essays to the “This I Believe Project.”

The event celebrates excellence, community and the personal and academic relationships.

“Eastern Believes: An EIU Reads! Celebration” was held Wednesday in the Lecture Hall of Doudna Fine Arts Center.

Jay Allison, co-editor and curator of the “This I Believe Project,” visited Eastern on Sept. 30.

He commented on the courage it takes for a person to stand up and express his or her most closely held beliefs publicly.

Bonnie Irwin, part of the EIU Reads committee and dean of the Honors College, said the “This I Believe Project” has been going on for three years.

“This event is the best event since then, it is so rewarding to hear from are own students,” she said. “The EIU Reads Committee chooses books for the EIU Project. It is an excellent way to start something that has value, and what they believe is important.”

In respect for Eastern’s student writers and their courage to not only publicize their beliefs but also do so before a live audience, the audience was asked to pay close attention to what they have to say.

More than seven topics were expressed through spoken word, art and short film.

The topics were issues that the contestants faced and their personal beliefs – including the power of music, family, rejuvenation, relationships, values, friendship or confidence.

Eastern had five contestant winners: “Making My Bed” by William Taylor, “A little TLC Goes a Long Way” by Lena Elmuti, “My Savior” by Jaymee Findlay, “Divine Protection When You Need It Most” by Kari Frey and “Do for All What You Do For One” by Bianca McGee.

The first to start was Anna Stipe with her “Music Begins Where Words Leave Off.”

“Music is the most pure source of emotion,” Stipe said.

The second to read was Donte Owens with “The Bond Of Music.”

“I’ve learned to respect people for their music choices, and each genre of music is unique in its own way,” Owens said.

“My Savior” by Findlay was one of the contestant winners.

“Music is a way to express my emotions that can’t be put in words,” she said.

Contestant Leah Jones entered a drawing of a grandmother and child bonding.

She opened her presentation saying she didn’t do an essay because “art speaks for itself.”

The five winning contestants won a gift card for the University Union Bookstore and a “This I Believe Book.”

Dana Jackson can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

EIU students speak up and out at EIU Reads

Jaymee Findlay, a freshman music education major reads her essay entitled “My Savior” during Eastern Reads! An EIU Reads! Celebration of Excellence.(Jordan Boner/The Daily Eastern News)