‘There will be no one like her’

Lantz Arena is accustomed to celebration.

On Sunday afternoon, a different celebration took place – a celebration of life.

Jackie Moore, an Eastern women’s basketball assistant coach, was honored Sunday at memorial service in Lantz Arena. She died late Wednesday at the age of 28 after collapsing while working out.

Friends and family who knew her said she was passionate.

“She’s not the average human being,” said Brenda Jahn, a friend of Moore’s from high school.

Jahn said it was difficult to describe Moore because she was involved in so many people’s lives and interests.

“There’s no word that can explain (who she is),” Jahn said. “There will be no one like her.”

For the Eastern women’s basketball team, her phrase “Go hard” resonated throughout the team and expressed Moore perfectly.

“It amazes me how great she was at everything,” said Brady Sallee, Eastern head women’s basketball coach. “Since the tragedy, it still doesn’t seem so real.”

Stephanie Moore, Moore’s sister, said the family has taken additional comfort in the preliminary findings of the autopsy Thursday, according to The Windsor Star.

“At least we know more,” Stephanie Moore told The Windsor Star. “Her heart just gave out on her.”

But Sallee was quick to point out Moore’s passion for life, people and basketball.

“Her heart was big enough to take it all,” he said.

For players, the memorial service was a way for Moore to be remembered in a different light beyond a coach.

“We were all convinced she could have had her own talk show,” said senior Ashley Thomas, who was beginning her third season at Eastern.

Moore will be honored this season as players and others wear gray bracelets that say, “J.M. Go Hard!”

Purses and shopping were other passions of Moore’s. As sophomore Chantelle Pressley remembers, Moore took Pressley to get her first Coach purse.

Moore’s brother, Eddie Moore, was glad the family got a chance to see Eastern in the way Jackie Moore had described to them, and he was moved by the phrase “Go Hard.”

“That’s what she would have wanted,” he said.

A special bond

Ceci Brinker, director of Student Life, and Sumalayo Jackson shared a special bond with Moore. The three were part of a group of black women who participated in social gatherings as professionals.

“She would just light you up,” said Jackson, director of the minority teacher identification and enrichment program. “She was always energetic, positive and the life of the party. She’s just a blessing to be around. She was just one of the persons that just really affected your life in such a powerful way that you couldn’t even imagine being without her.”

When Jackson became pregnant, Moore was at Jackson’s door the next day with gifts for Jackson’s future daughter.

“We knew first-hand the class act that Jackie was,” Brinker said. “We all experienced first-hand that fact that she cared about other people. She will be sorely missed by all of us at EIU.”

Touched lives

Moore’s sorority, Delta Sigma Theta, also honored her and Eastern’s chapter performed Omega Omega, a service to commemorate Delta Sigma Thetas.

Eastern athletics presented Moore’s family with a framed jersey from her playing days at Christian Brothers University and an Eastern jersey with a “JM” patch.

“She touched so many lives in so many ways,” said Eastern athletic director Barbara Burke. “We are so honored Jackie chose Eastern.”

Burke also said athletic teams will sport a “JM” patch and decals throughout the rest of the year.

A basketball scholarship is also being renamed the Moore Memorial Scholarship.

The Eastern women’s basketball team returned to practice Saturday.

“Our girls are going to be playing with heavy hearts,” Sallee said. “We’re looking forward to getting out there and playing on her behalf.”

Moore, a Windsor, Ontario, native is survived by her parents William Moore and Rosemarie Gignac, and siblings Eddie Moore and Stephanie Moore.

Grief counseling is available at the Counseling Center, and any questions should be directed to Counseling Center Director Sandy Cox at 581-3413.

Moore’s funeral is set for Saturday at the Families First Funeral Home and Tribute Centre in Windsor. Online condolences can be made at www.familiesfirst.ca/home.html. The family is still finalizing all arrangements with the Families First Funeral Home and Tribute Centre.

Kevin Murphy can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

‘There will be no one like her’

There will be no one like her

Dominique Sims and Maggie Kloak hug following the memorial service for their former assistant coach, Jackie Moore, in Lantz Arena on Sunday afternoon.(Eric Hiltner/The Daily Eastern News)