Walters makes NFL’s Chiefs

Former Eastern defensive end Pierre Walters survived the final cut Saturday, making the Kansas City Chiefs’ final 53-man roster.

Walters – who the Chiefs converted to outside linebacker – is the first Eastern football player since current Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo to make an active NFL roster.

“Words can’t describe the feeling I got when I received the news,” Walters said via phone interview Saturday. “I just had an out-of-body experience for a little while. I was in shock. It’s such a blessing.”

Walters said he was nervous all day awaiting the news and tried to play video games in his hotel room to calm his nerves. But when he got the phone call from his agent, he was in a euphoric disbelief.

“It was such a surprise to me. I really had no idea if I was going to make it,” Walters said. “I don’t even remember what happened after he told me. I was shaking for like, an hour after I got the news.”

After calling his family and text messaging numerous friends, Walters gave Eastern defensive coordinator Roc Bellantoni, who coached Walters during his four years at Eastern, a call to share the news.

“I’m really, really happy for him,” Bellantoni said. “He worked hard to get where he’s at. I got to watch him grow up as a person and a player. If anybody deserves success, it’s him.”

Walters said he hasn’t spoken with any of his coaches from the Chiefs yet, but will probably find out more about what his role will be with the team early this week. One change he noted was that he will wear No. 97 this season. He was seen in No. 67 throughout the preseason.

The 6-foot-4, 269-pounder out of Westchester St. Joseph’s High School finished the 2008 season for the Panthers with 48 total tackles and a team-high 16.5 tackles for a loss.

The Chiefs open their season at noon Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens in Baltimore, Md.

Collin Whitchurch can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Walters makes NFL’s Chiefs

Walters makes NFLs Chiefs

Former Eastern defensive end Pierre Walters, shown here in a 2008 game at O’Brien Field, survived the final round of cuts and made the final, 53-man roster of the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs converted Walters to outside linebacker and he will wear No.