‘Queer Mirror,’ mock graveyard part of event to break gender barriers

Walking down the sidewalk of the Library Quad on Tuesday, students were subject to rude and vile comments being screamed at them from a small tent.

Further investigation revealed a full size mirror called “The Queer Mirror” that was peppered with derogatory words and phrases.

The mirror, paired with the remarks from the speaker, emulated the experience of a minority being berated by bigotry and hate.

This portrayal was the intent of students in the Rhetoric of Women communication studies class as part of their “Gender Unplugged” class project.

The students challenged socially constructed gender myths and opened Eastern student’s minds in the process.

“It was nice to see people expand their minds to the different sides of gender,” said Justin Schuch, a senior communication studies major and member of the “Gender Unplugged” team.

Along tables lining the sidewalk were pamphlets with information on equal rights opportunities for same-sex families and basic tips for people working with transgendered people.

Students also participated in a mock “Proposition 8” vote where they were asked if they felt gay marriage should be legal in California. Of the votes, 89 percent supported gay marriage in California.

Adding to the experience was a mock graveyard and YouTube documentary presentation.

The mock graveyard had wooden crosses marking the death of gay and transgender individuals. Their stories were printed on the headstones.

One headstone told the account of Matthew Sheppard. He was beaten and left for dead in Wyoming because of his sexual orientation. Then, the local Baptist church protested his funeral.

The YouTube presentation showed images of young men and women who were victims of hate crimes because they were gay, lesbian or transgender.

“I was very impressed by the project’s displays, and I’m very grateful for the dialogue they created on our campus about gender,” said Stephani Pescitelli, a junior environmental biology major, as she looked at the photos of transgender individuals that covered the walls of the exhibit.

The photos were coupled with quotes from feminist scholars that challenged the social construction of gender.

“(Gender Unplugged) was great overall and it seemed to get a positive reaction from the Eastern community as we accomplished all of our goals,” said Kevin Wick, a senior communication studies major and a creator in the project.

Scott Hepner can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Queer Mirror, mock graveyard part of event to break gender barriers

Dori Niemann, a teaching assistant, and Jessica Killough, a junior communications major, hold hands as they sing along with Nicole Shoffstall, a senior communications major, who sings out through the megaphone “Going to the Chapel of Love” by The Dixie Cu