No major spike in leaving pets behind

As U.S college students head off for summer break, many leave behind newly acquired pets, according to the U.S. Humane Society.

“End of semester dumping of animals is a sad reality,” said Brian Sodergren, an issues-consultant for the Humane Society.

Pet abandonment in Charleston also tends to increase slightly near semester’s end, said Coles County Animal Control worker Ryan Livingston.

“We’re aware that that’s a problem,” he said. “(We receive) an average of a couple more calls a week (near the end of the semester).”

But pet abandonment is not a big problem in Charleston, Livingston said, adding that the animal control department has strict guidelines for college students who want to adopt animals.

“If a college student is interested in adopting, we not only talk to the landlord and make sure they’re OK with it, but we talk to the parents as well,” Livingston said. “That alleviates a lot of the problems at the end of the year.”

Livingston also said students should remember that adopting or buying an animal is a significant responsibility.

“We ask that they remember that it’s a lifelong commitment,” Livinston said. “(A pet) is another family member.”

Joe Astrouski can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

No major spike in leaving pets behind

No major spike in leaving pets behind

Karen Boyle, a sophomore nursing major, comforts a beagle before putting him back in a cage Tuesday at the Coles County Animal Shelter. Boyle volunteers at the shelter by walking and playing with the animals. (Karolina Strack / The Daily Eastern News)