McNamara’s memory kept alive with annual run/walk

Shannon McNamara’s name continues to live on as the sixth-annual 4k run/walk in her honor will commence on April 26.

McNamara died on June 12, 2001, when she was raped and murdered by former Eastern student Anthony Mertz in her apartment near Eastern.

Mertz was convicted in February 2003, and received the death penalty, and is now sitting on death row.

The events of McNamara’s life have since touched many people – including Amanda Morong, co-chair for the event that raises money for the Shannon McNamara Scholarship, which is awarded to an Eastern student majoring in kinesiology and sports studies.

Meaghan Clavey is the other chair.

“I honestly became sick to my stomach that someone would ever do that to someone else,” said Morong, a senior physical education major with teacher certification, about when she first heard about McNamara.

She then knew the next thing to do was help McNamara’s memory to never fade.

“I got involved, because what happened to Shannon is a horrible tragedy, and I wanted to try to make a difference by trying to involve as many people as I could,” Morong said. “I get the chills every time because I know I am doing a great thing for her as well as her family to keep her memory alive. I can’t speak for others, but if I had to, the people participating know how important this is every year and are glad to take part of it for Shannon.”

Morong got involved in 2006 with her sorority Alpha Phi.

“We did fundraising for her in the fall through my house and in the spring we always run for her,” she said.

As the years go on, not many Eastern students know about McNamara, but professors continue to share their memory of the physical education major who was a member of the department’s honors club, a student worker at the Student Recreation Center and a member of Alpha Phi.

“I unfortunately did not get the chance to ever meet her,” Morong said. “But my teachers, as well as Erin Weed and others in my house who did meet her, tell me amazing stories of how great of a person she was. I was always told it was a shame her life was taken because she would have been one of the few people in the world to make a great difference in the life of students she would teach.”

Weed, a 1999 graduate, founded Girls Fight Back, which teaches women to live safe and empowered lives, in response to the murder of McNamara – a close friend.

McNamara fought back the night she was killed, and that is one thing Morong said people should take away from her story.

“Just be aware of your surroundings and do anything and everything possible to ensure your own safety,” she said. “Granted how it happened to Shannon may be a little different, but just always make safety a No. 1 concern and to always fight back.”

The 4k run/walk emphasizes that point.

“I think it is important for people to participate, and to donate, because this is the one chance every year everyone on campus and in the community can come together to honor the memory of a great person,” Morong said. “She did a lot of great things when she was here. She was a hard worker and someone who was committed to changing the lives of young people today. She was a great role model for her peers and teachers, and everyone should be reminded of that every year.”

The run/walk will begin at 2 p.m. at the Campus Pond Pavilion.

Registration is $12 before the event or $15 the day of. Registration can be completed beforehand by going to www.active.com or by going to the Rec Center Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday of this week between 4 and 6 p.m.

Those who register prior to the event will receive a T-shirt.

Sonya Schuette, assistant professor of kinesiology and sports studies, said about 160 people have signed up so far.

Last year, more than 200 people participated in the run/walk, and this year, organizers hope to have more than 300 people.

“We’ve tried to contact a lot of the Greek community and kinesiology majors,” said Schuette, who helps organize the run/walk and is the co-chair of the College of Kinesiology and Sports Studies Honors Club. “(However,) anyone can come. Everyone is welcome to come out.”

Schuette did not know McNamara, but is a strong supporter of the event.

“I think it’s important to keep Shannon’s name alive,” Schuette said. “I was shocked to know that could happen in a town like Charleston and a school like Eastern.”

Want to participate?

What: All proceeds go toward the Shannon McNamara

Scholarship

When: 2 p.m. April 26

Where: Campus Pond Pavilion

Registration: Registration is $12 if done before the event by going to the Student Rec Center Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday between 4 and 6 p.m. or by going to www.active.com. Registration is $15 the day of the run/walk.

Kristina Peters can be reached at 581-7936 or at [email protected].

McNamaras memory kept alive with annual run/walk

Runners stretch before participating in the fourth annual Run for Shannon McNamara in April 2007 at the Panther Trail. (File photo / The Daily Eastern News)