Sigma Pi, Alpha Phi win Tugs championships

Sigma Pi defeated Sigma Phi Epsilon in 57 seconds, earning them the Tugs championship in the Big Men’s Division Saturday at the Campus Pond.

“From the beginning (the Sigma Pi Big Men’s tug team) form was better then Sigma Phi (Epsilon),” said Ryan Switzer, a Sigma Pi Little Men’s Tug team member.

Kris Caldwell, a member of Sigma Pi’s Big Men’s Tug team, said the team believed they could win the title.

“We always believe,” he said. “We work as hard as possible to make our alumni proud.”

Matt Van Cleave, a member of the Tugs team, said there was a lot of tugging experience on the team.

“We had six guys on our team, and the championship tug was going to be their last tug,” he said. “We said, ‘Before we do this, make it perfect.’ This year we had 24 years combined of experience. We knew what we were doing; we just went out and got it done.”

Greeks — both past and present — came to support their fraternities and sororities.

“Our entire fraternity, including alumni, came out and supported us,” Dan Salihar, a member of the Sigma Pi Big Men’s team said.

Other Tugs winners include Sig Ep defeating Sigma Pi in 1 minute, 30 seconds, earning Sig Ep the Little Men’s championship.

Alpha Phi defeated Delta Delta Delta in 2 minutes, 34 seconds for the championship in the Women’s Division. Sigma Sigma Sigma defeated Alpha Sigma Alpha in 1 minute, 21 seconds for third place.

The third place round for the Big Men’s Division was Lambda Chi Alpha defeating Delta Tau Delta in 2 minutes, 17 seconds.

Greek Week Overall Will Seidelmann was pleased with how Tugs ran this year.

“The event went really well,” he said. “We were pleased with the crowd this year, the weather was beautiful and everyone came out in high spirits rooting for their chapters.”

Charles LeGrand can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Sigma Pi, Alpha Phi win Tugs championships

Members of Alpha Phi get ready for their tug Friday afternoon at Campus Pond. Alpha Phi would go on to win the Women’s Tugs by beating Delta Delta Delta with a time of 2 minutes, 34 seconds Saturday. (Amir Prellberg / The Daily Eastern News)