Art department announces awards for 2009 All-Student Show

The art department has announced the recipients of the 2009 All-Student Show awards and the 2009 department awards. The exhibition is open to the public until March 29 in the Tarble Arts Center.

The recipients were recognized at an awards reception held March 1.

Kathy Bryant, who received a merit award by media, said she was happy for the award.

She said this is her fifth merit award from the department.

“Merit Award is the best, because this comes from the department, and you work with the teacher,” she said.

Meagan Geiger-Powell received the Heyduck Ceramics Award for her vase Blue Moon. Powell said this is her second time in a row to participate, and she was happy she has been recognized both times.

“Vase Blue Moon is the composite form and a traditional pot. It can be used in different function,” Geiger-Powell said.

She said art is her passion.

Michael Watts, the director of Tarble Art Center, said there were more entries this year than last year.

The contest is limited to Eastern students.

Students at Eastern who had taken at least one undergraduate studio art course during the academic year were eligible to enter the All-Student Show competition.

Admission is free, and the public is invited. The center will be closed on Sunday and Tuesday for the annual systems check.

The Tarble Arts Center is located on 9th Street at Cleveland Avenue on the Eastern campus in Charleston.

Regular hours for the Tarble are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday. It is closed on Monday.

Jacqueline Nathalie Loma is 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Art+department+announces+awards+for+2009+All-Student+Show+

Meagan Geiger Powell’s ceramic piece “Blue Moon” is on display at the Student Art Show on Feb. 25 through March 29. (Alycia Rockey / The Daily Eastern News)