Charleston library has ribbon-cutting for final addition

About 150 people gathered in the Charleston Carnegie Public Library Sunday afternoon to see the ribbon cutting for the library’s new addition, nearly 10 years after planning for the addition began.

Deciding what features the addition should have was a community effort, said Eric Huddlestun, president of the library’s board of trustees.

“When we started on this … we thought it would be best to have a survey to find out what the public wanted in a new facility,” Huddlestun said.

Using the survey results, the library board designed a 29,000 square-foot addition that includes large meeting rooms, reading and activity rooms for children and teens, and a genealogy-research section. In 2005, Charleston voters approved a $7 million referendum to fund the project, and parts of the addition were open by late 2008.

“We just have a town that really supports its library,” said Sheryl Snyder, the library’s executive director.

Much of that support for the project came from city government, said Huddlestun.

“(Mayor) John Inyart stepped up and said, ‘The city will be behind you 100 percent,'” Huddlestun said.

For Dave Grovier, the library’s 30 new computers are its best feature.

Grovier, who recently lost his job and is now attending classes at Lake Land College in Mattoon, said computer access at the library is helping him train to re-enter the workforce.

“Having the computers helps me with my online classes … plus, I can get my e-mail,” Grovier said.

Grovier said his wife, Lisa, and his son, Michael, visit the library almost every day.

The ribbon cutting included a guest appearance by “Ms. Frizzle,” the fictional red-haired teacher from the Magic School Bus children’s book series.

Cathy Senior, who played Ms. Frizzle, is a school librarian at Mark Twain and Ashmore Elementary Schools who volunteers at the Charleston Carnegie Public Library.

“The kids just are in awe,” Senior said. “There are so many things for them to do.”

“Kidzone,” the library’s new children’s center, includes books, play places and a “craft/story space” where children can attend special art and storytelling programs.

Huddlestun said the number of people using the library has increased sharply since parts of the addition began opening last fall.

“Our circulation is up by 3,000 per month,” Huddlestun said. “People who think that libraries are dying are wrong.”

Joe Astrouski can be reached at 581-7945 or at [email protected].

Charleston library has ribbon-cutting for final addition

Eric Huddlestun, president of the board of trustees of the Charleston Carnegie Public Library, cuts the ribbon during the dedication ceremony for the library Sunday afternoon. (Audrey Sawyer / The Daily Eastern News)