Discovery Room closes for family

The shelves of the Discovery Room gift shop at 325 Monroe Ave. are jammed with crafts, books, cakes and specialty coffees. But lately, the three-year-old shop’s most striking feature is outside its walls: A white sign advertising its going-out-of-business sale.

Linda Powers, who co-owns the business with her daughter Alexis Powers-Stone, said her daughter’s growing family made it hard to keep the store open.

“Last year, (Alexis) had twins,” Linda Powers said. “She really loves the business, but she loves her family more.”

Linda Powers said neither daycare nor keeping the children at the shop were good options.

“They’re only young once.and you don’t want to miss that,” Linda Powers said. “And children and glass decorations don’t mix.”

The slumping economy also limited the family’s options, Linda Powers said.

“A small business can’t really afford to hire.somebody to (help out),” she said. “It’s hard to pay somebody what they’re worth.”

Linda Powers said Alexis Powers-Stone worked to have unique merchandise at her shop, which she opened in 2006.

“She made a special effort not to buy something she’d seen at a chain store,” Linda Powers said.

The Powers family has been involved in Charleston business since the early 1970s, when Linda Powers and her husband Spike Powers opened a gift shop, Discovery Room, on Lincoln Avenue.

Spike Powers worked as a photographer for 30 years, until he lost his sight to glaucoma last year, Linda Powers said.

Linda Powers now runs her own online business selling gifts for medical and nursing schools.

She said her business has also slowed because of the economic recession.

“I’ve noticed people are buying less expensive items,” Linda Powers said. “They want to keep up their (medical) traditions, but they just can’t afford to.”

Meanwhile, she said the current Discovery Room will end its regular business hours from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the end of this week.

After closing for one week, the Powers will host a rummage sale March 17 through 21 at the shop to sell off remaining merchandise and other goods.

She said Sweet Tooth Specialties bakery at 605 Monroe Ave. will carry many of the coffees and foods sold at the Discovery Room.

Joe Astrouski can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Discovery Room closes for family

Discovery Room closes for family

Brittany Ledford, a senior hospitality management major, looks at Christmas ornaments at The Discovery Room craft store on Thursday afternoon in downtown Charleston. (Audrey Sawyer/The Daily Eastern News)