Inyart smiles toward future

Mayor John Inyart smiled at the close of the city council meeting Tuesday, despite it being the last before he must officially file his petition to run for re-election in the spring of 2009.

“The thing I am most proud of is how highly functional this council is,” he said. “We have great people working for the city, and I am extremely proud to be a part of it.”

The first-term mayor announced Monday that he wants to continue working with the council for a second term in the municipal elections in April.

Among numerous platform positions, Inyart believes his most notable accomplishment is the improvement of communications for the city as a whole.

“I see myself as an ambassador for the city, rather than an administrator,” Inyart said. “I believe it is my job to get out and listen to the people, the organizations, the students and keep the lines of communication open.”

Through the work of a cohesive council, Inyart said the city was able to accomplish a network of communication that excels all predecessors. During his term, city officials were able to organize semi-annual meetings with Mattoon’s City Council for the first time.

The improved network with Mattoon has opened discussion with Coles Together to aid in the sharing of resources and has ultimately saved both cities’ taxpayers’ money, Inyart said.

As of yet, Inyart said he does not know if he faces any opposition. People vying for candidacy have until Dec. 15 to file their petitions. The mayor ran unopposed for his first term.

“I don’t know exactly how my campaign would change if I ran against someone,” he said. “I know I would make every effort to run a clean campaign and focus on the issues.”

He said if someone opposes him, he hopes the candidate is informed on the job requirements and issues.

Those issues, Inyart said, are financial security in the city; the investment and promotion of new commercial, industrial and residential construction; and continuing with improving the city’s image through renovation projects such as the Waste Water Treatment Plant.

“The biggest issue the new municipality will face is the results of the predicted financial downturn explained by our comptroller at the retreat,” Inyart said.

City Comptroller Heather Kuykendall explained that according to timeline estimates, smaller cities would feel the effects of the recession 18 to 24 months after the initial reports.

Because of this, Inyart said he wants his campaign to emphasize his term’s financial preparedness through “proper planning and fiscal restraint.”

The improvements to local business and residential areas help to bolster the Charleston economy and foster new growth, according to Inyart’s announcement. Through this, the city is able to continue on a path of development, he said.

The city’s renovations of high traffic city streets like Fourth Street and Polk Avenue were also accomplishments outlined in Inyart’s announcement. The final touches on the facelift of City Hall will continue into the new term as well as the pending renovation project on the Waste Water Treatment Plant.

“I think I’m helping, and I would hope that people see that,” he said. “I hope (the voters) appreciate and respect the job I am trying to do and continue to support me.”

Inyart said he has no idea what would happen if he lost the election to an opponent, but wishes the winner would see the progress that had been done and continue it.

“I hope the accomplishments the staff and I have made would continue on despite my presence…but then again, I don’t plan on losing,” he said as the smile returned to his face.

Krystal Moya can be reached at 581-7945 or at [email protected].

Inyart smiles toward future

Inyart smiles toward future

Mayor John Inyart laughs during the City Council meeting Tuesday evening. Inyart was elected in 2005 as mayor of Charleston and will be running again next in 2009. (Robbie Wroblewski / The Daily Eastern News)