Neal wins Tire Dealer Humanitarian Award

Burnham Neal’s worn hands tremble a little with the frailty of his age as he shakes his friend’s and employee’s hands. But through the subtle tremors, it is said one can feel a power as his long fingers wrap around one’s hand. It is warmth – a feeling of soul – that evokes his every touch. It is his power to give.

This is why Burnham Neal has received the Tire Dealer Humanitarian Award from National Tire Business Magazine. “Burnham goes beyond giving,” said his daughter-in-law Cindy Neal, who nominated Burnham Neal for the award. “He is an anomaly of a person.”

The owner of Neal Tire and Ben Tire Distributors in Toledo has been on the nomination block of the national award for almost three years, his first nomination filed in 2005.

But on Oct. 9, friends, family, employees and press gathered at the office building in back of his store to show support and praise for his receiving of the award that long eluded him.

“We have many nominations throughout the years, but this year was finally Burnham’s,” said Tire Business reporter Sydney Michaelcheck. “He has always been deserving of this award, and now we can finally present it to him.” Neal’s hands have always been giving.

The Eastern benefactor has donated numerous dollars to the university’s foundation. The Neal Welcome Center bears his name. He has also donated to area middle schools, high schools and Lake Land College in attempts to keep their libraries stocked. He contributes to 40-60 scholarship funds a year as well as the annual donation he presents to Sarah Bush Lincoln Medical Center to help maintain quality health care.

However, it was his personal work – the way he touched the individual – that won him the award.

“I think it was the letter I sent them from his friend Terry about a situation where Burnham was just a shining light of hope,” Cindy Neal said. “The story is nothing short of amazing.”

Cindy Neal read the letter that had touched her heart to the audience of support that filled his warmly lit office as Burnham sat in his oversized armchair with cigar holes singed into the leather after years of smoking among friends.

Neal’s friend from Taylorville had been dealing with his friend’s battle with an illness.

The friend, Larry Barry, explained that the help was absent for his friend, and he continued to deteriorate day by day.

Without a second thought, Neal called friends at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., where his wife was treated before she passed from cancer after a 10-year battle, and the friend was flown to a bed and treated.

“He saved his life without ever laying eyes on him,” the letter read.

During the weekend, Neal was flown out along with some family and friends to the National Tire Business Expo and presented the award.

“I just thought it was nice that you all could come out here,” was all Neal said.

Krystal Moya can be reached at 581-7945 or at [email protected].

Neal wins Tire Dealer Humanitarian Award

Burnham Neal of Ben Tire Distribution and Neal Tire sits in his armchair as he receives congratulations for his national award. (Krystal Moya