Groups to hold results parties

With elections taking place today, both the Coles County Democrats and Republicans plan on meeting with their parties to have an elections watch party.

Mike Weaver, chairman of the Coles County Republicans, said they will meet up at the Panther Paw Bar and Grill to watch the elections.

“We will be gathering to watch the returns come in and hopefully see some victories,” Weaver said.

He added that while at the Paw, they would have a computer hooked up to see returns from the Coles County Courthouse.

“We did this last year, and it worked out great for us,” Weaver said.

Weaver said the group feels optimistic about the county board seats that will be decided today.

“There might be a challenge nationally, but who knows, at this time it’s anyone’s game,” Weaver said.

The Coles County Democrats will also have a party at their headquarters at 500 Sixth Street in the Charleston Square.

The party will start after the polls close at 7 p.m. and it is open to the public. Students are also encouraged to attend.

Christopher Kromphardt, president of the EIU College Democrats, said some members would be at the Coles County Democrats’ party this evening.

“To watch the results, some of our members are hosting a party and the County Democrats are hosting another party at their headquarters on the Charleston Square,” Kromphardt said. “Also, some of our members are going to be going to the (Sen. Barack) Obama party in Grant Park in Chicago.”

Jacob Griffin, president of the EIU Republicans, said the group would be joining the Coles County Republicans at the Paw to watch both the local and national elections.

Michelle Murphy, secretary and historian for the EIU Republicans, said she would be worried if the results do not come out the way she wants them to.

“When Sen. Obama won his spot on the presidential ticket, I couldn’t help but assume that the only reason the American people would help him get that spot is because of the emotion sweeping the nation that I call the ‘anyone-but-Hillary’ regime,” Murphy said. “I think my friends on the EIU Republicans made it very clear why Barack Obama doesn’t stand for change you can believe in, but rather a change you should be afraid of.”

Murphy added she and other EIU Republicans have been working with the Republican candidate for Coles County Coroner, Ed Schneider, and with Paul Komada, candidate for Coles County State’s Attorney.

“Both of these men are just really incredible individuals, and I hope that they come out on top in this county,” she said. “It’s a change that Coles County deserves.”

Kromphardt is ready for the election to see the results and after, assisting with national and local Democrat parties, he is ready for some victories.

“The College Democrats have done a lot of work helping both local and national campaigns, and it seems likely that our work will pay off with multiple Democratic victories,” Kromphardt said.

He believes the Democrats will still control the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate.

“And within the range of possibility that by the end of this week, we’ll see a Democratic president and a filibuster-proof Democratic Senate,” Kromphardt said.

Brittni Garcia can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Groups to hold results parties

Groups to hold results parties

John Griffin, EIU College Republicans president, makes his opening remarks during the “Debate ’08” event on Oct. 21. The EIU College Republicans will be joining the Coles County Republicans at the Panther Paw Bar and Grill tonight to watch the election re