‘Fright Night’ fills Doudna’s Dvorak Hall

Halloween may have already passed, but there was definitely an array of costumes at the Dvorak Concert Hall inside the Doudna Fine Arts Center Sunday night.

The Eastern Symphony Orchestra conducted their fourth annual “Fright Night” concert that also featured a costume contest for children, plus movie clips and trick-or-treating in the lobby.

Even the performers were in costume while they played in front of an audience that almost filled the concert hall.

The night started out with pieces from Gustav Holst and also featured music associated with the planets.

There were also pieces from John Williams and Modest Mussorgsky.

Richard Robert Rossi was the conductor and led the orchestra.

“I usually don’t get into that kind of music but I’m really glad I attended this,” said Leah Kutches, a junior corporate communications major. “The concert was amazing and the kids seemed to really enjoy it which was even better.”

Nicole Baker, a sophomore business major who also attended the concert, said the performers costumes were a big hit.

“It was really cool how they incorporated the scary music theme with Halloween and even wore costumes while they played,” Baker said.

But the musicians weren’t the only ones decked out in their Halloween attire.

There was a costume contest for children about halfway through the performance. Children dressed up in a variety of costumes from Spider-Man to Thomas the Tank Engine.

The judges had the difficult task of choosing the winners as the kids circled the stage to the orchestra playing the “Raiders March” from the movie “Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.”

One child in a violin costume received the Most Original Award, and the sock monkey baby costume received the Judge’s Favorite Award.

Kara Kirkpatrick can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Fright Night fills Doudnas Dvorak Hall

The Eastern Symphony Orchestra, with graduate conductor Janet McCumber, performs “The Planets” by Gustav Holst Sunday night at the Fright Night concert in the Dvorak Concert Hall of the Doudna Fine Arts Center. In addition to the performance, there was a