Blues musician Shirley King to be at 4th Street Records

When the last name King is spoken within the circles of blues musicians, it is usually referring to the legendary blues guitarist B.B. King.

However, it is his daughter, Shirley King, that is starting to make a name for herself. Some are still unfamiliar with her.

“I’m really unfamiliar with any of her music,” said music professor Keith Wright.

From 5 to 7 p.m. today, Shirley King will be visiting Positively 4th Street Records for a meet-and-greet. King will be signing copies of her new album and said she is looking forward to speaking to parents and students.

“I am walking in the shadow of a giant and I’m not trying to do what my father did. Me and my father’s performances are certainly different,” King said. ” With my father’s style, you get B.B. and Lucille (King’s legendary guitar, named after a woman he never met), but with me you get Shirley and performance.”

King is a blues and R&B vocalist that has performed her own original music since 1991.

“I can shake a real mean hip,” King said.

Positively 4th Street Records manager Chris Davis organized the event.

“Shirley is very personable, so I am all for having her come,” he said.

Davis said he hopes for good

attendance.

Audra Dust, a pre-med biology major, said bringing King to Charleston is a good idea.

“I really don’t know much about Shirley King’s music, but bringing her down to Charleston will definitely attract a lot of people,” Dust said. “It works good for everyone involved because it will get people to come in and meet her, as well as bringing attention to the store.”

King said she originally wanted to play at a school, so she could reach a larger audience.

“But we struggled to put things together,” she said.

Then something interesting happened.

“I was at work at a club called The Joint in Chicago, and the first presidential debate was on,” she said. “There was a couple of famous people in the club and everyone was standing together watching the debate, and afterwards all kinds of people were standing around discussing the debate.”

She said it was interesting to watch how the campaign season brought people together.

“It got me thinking about going to places like record stores and music instrument shops so that I could sit down and actually talk about subjects that matter with all kinds of people,” King said.

– Staff Reporter Stephanie Martin contributed to this report.

Neil Schneider can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Blues musician Shirley King to be at 4th Street Records

Shirley King, daughter of B.B. King, will be at Positively 4th Street Records from 5 to 7 p.m. today for a meet-and-greet. (Submitted photo)