Piano soloist stars in Eastern symphony

Music of Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin featured in the McAfee Gymnasium Sunday, however the famous composers’ music were not the highlight of the show.

Instead, Eastern’s own pianist, Sonny Pickowitz, was the main attraction. She swiftly moved her hands over keys to recreate Frederic Chopin’s “Piano Concerto.”

It was the largest audience the junior piano performance major had played for a solo act, and she spent eight months practicing on the piece.

“Building up to it was sort of overwhelming,” Pickowitz said after the concert was over.

Her time spent practicing resulted in a standing applause from the audience.

“The pianist was amazing,” said Stephany Hartman, a senior family consumer science major.

The Eastern Symphony Orchestra also played works that included both orchestra and Broadway pieces.

“I thought they sounded very professional,” said Patrick Williams, a sophomore social science education major.

Symphony members had been working on the music since the beginning of the semester, as well as pieces to be performed when the Doudna Fine Arts Center opens. The concert was originally going to feature dueling pianos, but that was changed and saved for the opening of Doudna.

The musicians still have plenty of work on their plate with their next show planned for March 30 at the Wesley United Methodist Church.

Along with preparing for the Doudna and the March 30 performances, Pickowitz has to practice for her Junior Recital.

“I think I’m going to take the night off,” Pickowitz joked.

Joshua Van Dyke can be reached at 581-7942.

Piano soloist stars in Eastern symphony

Piano+soloist+stars+in+Eastern+symphony+

Daily Eastern News)

Piano soloist stars in Eastern symphony

Piano soloist stars in Eastern symphony

Maestro Richard Rossi conducts the Eastern Illinois University Orchestra Sunday afternoon during the Overture to Egmont, which was part of the Stagestruck Concert. (Bryce Peake