Local children show off skills at halftime

To view the video click here.

As the halftime buzzers sounded for the men’s and women’s basketball games Saturday night, girls between the ages of 4-12 took the floor.

The girls were part of the Little Pink Panther dance clinic.

The clinic is a project that allows the Pink Panthers, Eastern’s dance team, to work with younger children interested in dance, said Lisa Dallas, Pink Panther coach and adviser.

However, the dance clinic does not just function a workshop for young girls.

“It also serves as a fund raiser for our team to help us afford equipment and uniforms,” Dallas said.

To learn the routine, girls between the ages of 4-7 met in the Student Recreation Center Saturday morning to prepare to perform during halftime of the women’s basketball game that evening. Girls between the ages of 8-12 met later in the day to learn their performance for halftime of the men’s basketball game.

The girls were separated into four groups based on age and learned a dance to one of the songs from “High School Musical”.

“(High School Musical) is really popular among kids and, at the same time, we had fun making the dance up,” said Pink Panther Nicole Adami.

Two or more Pink Panthers choreographed each routine.

“We just have to simplify the routine as much as possible, and sometimes we had to make it harder or make it easier, based on the girls’ attention spans,” Adami said.

After each 45-second performance, the girls exited the gym floor with smiles on their faces.

“It was weird because everyone was there, and you didn’t want to mess up,” said 7-year- old Natalie Tribble, of Charleston.

Many of the girls participating in the event joined because they love to dance.

“When people tell you you’re a great dancer, then it makes you want to dance more,” said 6-year-old Sabrina Alcorn, of Tuscola.

The girls were sent home with Pink Panther posters and t-shirts.

The Pink Panthers said the group believes the dance clinic is a great way for them to give back to their fans who come to watch them perform during the games.

“We pay them back by teaching them a dance, and thank them for coming to watch us perform,” Adami said.

Karla Browning can be reached 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Local children show off skills at halftime

Erin Supple sophomore business major leads out her group of Little Pink Panthers out to the court during half time of the women’s basketball game at Lantz Arena Saturday night. (John Bailey/The Daily Eastern News)