Stevenson bash a smash hit

Brianna Sowers, 10, was in Stevenson Hall on Halloween night, wearing a blue and white dress with shiny red shoes.

She was dressed as Dorothy from the “Wizard of Oz.”

Brianna was dressed up for Stevenson’s Halloween event for local children.

Stevenson was one of many resident halls that gave local kids an alternative to trick-or-treating.

Brianna heard about the event from her mom, Cindy, who works on campus at Stevenson for housing and dining.

Like many children, Brianna enjoyed the chance to wear a costume.

“The best part of Halloween is getting dressed up,” Brianna said.

Many events were scheduled for children, including face painting, coloring, candy giving and craft making.

Stevenson Hall Council sponsored the event.

Brian Kowalski, senior recreation administration major and Stevenson hall council member, participated in the planning of the events for the kids.

“The whole council collaborated on ideas for this event,” Kowalski said.

Alyssa Ricca, senior English major with teacher certification, said the event has been popular in the past.

“We had around 25 to 30 kids last year,” she said. “We have everyone collaborate at Stevenson (executive council) meetings.”

Ricca is also one of the co-public relations chairs for Stevenson.

Some families had been to Halloween campus events in the past and returned this year.

Julie Bates went with her three children, Sarah, 8; Katherine, 7; and Thomas, 3.

“We always have a good time,” Bates said. “It’s safe, and we don’t have to face the elements outside.”

Some first-timers also attended the event.

Holly Pucheta took her two children, Elizabeth and Emilio.

“Last year, we went to Andrews Hall, and this year, we decided to go to Stevenson,” she said.

Pucheta said her children enjoy the Halloween season.

“It is their favorite holiday,” Pucheta said. “They get to be with their friends.”

Stevenson bash a smash hit

Stevenson bash a smash hit

Elizabeth Grant, 3, resident of Charleston, reaches for a foam pumpkin to decorate her drawing with at the craft table in the Stevenson lobby Wednesday night. Elizabeth Grant, 3, resident of Charleston, reaches for a foam pumpkin to decorate her drawing w