Barbershop music fills ballroom

They came from all over East-Central Illinois with many wearing white shirts and black pants.

About 450 students ranging from middle school to high school filled the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union Monday night to have their voices heard.

Tabytha Watson, a junior from Charleston High School, couldn’t wait to get on stage and show the crowd what her choir had been working on for the past two months.

“The best part of the day was singing with girls from all different schools,” she said. “They teach us things that they’ve learned and we teach them what we’ve learned.”

Watson was glad her new music teacher allowed the students to come to the Youth in Harmony Festival and said she hopes to come next year.

“I’ll be a senior next year and be able to help the younger kids that come,” she said.

Tom Woodall, director of the Coles County Barbershop Chorus, helped organize the event inviting students and special guests like Pulse Quartet, Men in Black Quartet and other groups.

“Many of the schools are dropping their vocal programs and this event allows the Coles County chapters to have a place to go to do some singing,” Woodall said. “It’s a wholesome thing to do and a nice experience to have when you’re still young.”

Janice Varner, the choir director of Central A & M High School, brought her choir to the event to help give them exposure to another genre.

“It’s so important to be a well-rounded person,” she said. “Fine arts should be apart of everyone’s life.”

The Pulse Quartet worked specifically with the girls by dividing them into sections before bringing them together, while the Men in Black Quartet did the same with the boys.

When the Men in Black first competed in 2002 during the MBNA America Collegiate Barbershop Quartet Contest, they were ranked last, but since then they grew to become the 2005 International Collegiate Quartet Champions.

The a cappella group is currently one of the top quartets in the nation.

“No matter how bad you suck in the beginning keep singing,” said Karl Hudson, member of Men in Black.

This was the first time the group came to the festival, but they often help give tips to singers throughout the country.

“This event promotes a sense of community by bringing all different schools,” said Ray Johnson, member of Men in Black. “It’s important young kids are exposed to different kinds of music.”

Agreeing with Johnson, Oliver Merrill, member of Men in Black, said the Youth in Harmony Festival allows kids to get experience through something outside the school.

“It provides enrichment,” he said. “The schools do away with individuality so kids are influenced by things outside of the school that they are not allowed to bring in.”

Barbershop music fills ballroom

Barbershop music fills ballroom

Men in Black, the international collegiate barbershop quartet champions of 2005, perform in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. Union, as part of the Youth In Harmony Festival, Monday night.