Mixing up the crowd

After placing her last box filled with belongings in her new room, the Chicago native was a little reluctant to be away from her parents for the first time.

Although she was anxious about her world to come, she was nervous about this new environment that she would be a part of for the next four years.

Yet after curiously attending Mix it Up in the South Quad Thursday night, Erica Edwards, a freshman English major, realized she was only one out of over 200 students with a nervous stomach.

Pat Lamorte, a senior electronic media production major and UB Vice Chair, remembers how different Mix it Up was when he was a freshman.

With an improved sound system and lighting, more students were attracted to the event.

“This is the biggest ice breaker of the year,” he said. “They come for the perks, but I’m sure they leave with much more.”

Students were offered novelties while Fairplay Productions stirred up the crowd from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. and a WEIU disc jockey ended the night.

Amy Baumgart, a graduate assistant in the Student Life Office, helped University Board collaborate with the Office of Orientation to provide a social surrounding for students.

“Our goal is to help students, especially incoming students, to meet new people that will perhaps impact the rest of their college experience,” she said. “They all came in together today and now they get to be together as a class.”

Crystal Grissom, a sophomore theatre major, said she enjoyed meeting lots of new people and letting loose.

“I liked the mixer,” she said. “You get to be a big dork and no one cares.”

Stephanie Tait, a Playfair employee, showed participants the true meaning to ‘Mix it Up.’

“Playfair allows students to just be themselves for the first time in college,” she said. “We want them to know that college is going to be great.”

Tait works hard to get the crowd comfortable by mixing groups together and getting acquainted with one another.

“They leave loving each other and not even knowing each other’s names,” she said. “And that’s how I know I’ve done my job.”

Amanda Dumnui, a freshman elementary education major, said she was a little worried at first but the friendly atmosphere made her comfortable.

“I came to Eastern because everyone is so nice and always willing to help,” she said. “I never expected anything like this, but it’s pretty cool to meet all these new people and just let loose.”

Other weekend events

Friday

Up All Night 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.

Saturday

Quakin’ in the Quad 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Sunday

First Night 11:30 p.m.

Mixing up the crowd

Mixing up the crowd

Students got a chance to “Mix It Up” Thursday night in the South Quad. The university board and office of orientation sponsored the event. Guest speaker Stephanie Tait energized and encouraged over 200 students to “get acquainted with one another.” (Robbi