Camp starts registration

Recruitment season is beginning for football.

Bob Spoo’s football camp started June 11. Seven players from last year’s camp came to play for Eastern. This year, attendance has increased for the camp. The total number of campers is 150-170.

“We must be doing something right if we have more people coming,” said Roc Bellatoni camp coordinator.

Primarily three schools come to camp as a team, DuQuion, Casey-Westfield and Marshall. Other schools may just send a few members of their team.

It is Spoo’s twenty-first year holding the camp. He’s been holding the camp since he came to Eastern.

“(Spoo’s) very involved, he’ll come out and talk to the campers,” Bellatoni said.

Some boys have the opportunity to come to the camp all four years of their high school career.

“(The coaches) have the opportunity to get to know some of the players, and really see them grow,” said Noah Joseph, defensive back and recruiting coordinator.

Joseph is in his fifth year at the camp. As a member of the football staff, helping at the camp is part of his obligation.

“Its something that is beneficial to me in the recruiting arena,” said Joseph. “I get to work with them and nurture talent.”

Upon the start of the camp, the boys ran through drills as a group before splitting into their specialized divisions. These drills were running various sprints and stretching. The receiving group was throwing balls back and forth.

The campers are staying on campus in McKinney residence hall. The residence halls also provide the meals, a cost included in the cost to attend camp.

“Living on campus gets them to build a camaraderie, they get to relate to each other on a close level,” Joseph said.

The camp brochure showcases a sample schedule for those attending. The day begins at 7 a.m. wake-up and ends with a 10:30 p.m. lights out. Three practice sessions fall throughout the day.

Boys also have the option to attend for just one day. The other options for campers include residential and commuter. The commuter and day campers do not receive meals.

The camp is open to all boys in grades 9-12.

The camp runs from June 11 to 14.

Camp starts registration

Camp starts registration

Football coach Bob Spoo talks to his players. His football camp for this year started on June 11. File Photo