What’s up with ‘SUP’?

For the second consecutive year, the Student United Party will dominate Student Government.

According to Student Body President Sean Anderson, the party represents all aspects of the students with the slogan “giving students what they want.”

Before SUP joined people from all aspects, there were was a Greek party, a Black Student Union party and an orientation party, he said.

“The only way I feel to represent a diverse body is to have a diverse party,” Anderson said.

Anderson believes that the there could be three or four parties running in next year’s election as it seems to go in waves.

In the Spring 2002 Student Government election, Alison Mormino was elected as student body president with no competition.

The next year, there was competition as Caleb Judy was elected the new student body president over Amy Leonard.

The competition continued until this year. Cole Rogers, student vice president for student affairs, is running unopposed for student body president.

Rogers said that it might look bad to an outsider if one party has control, but he doesn’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing.

“I think we’ve done a great job representing the students,” he said.

Levi Bulgar, student vice president for business affairs and candidate for student executive vice president, said that parties are needed.

He said it is easier to get students to support a party than try and run separately.

Student Senate member Kent Ohms, an independent candidate for student executive vice president, said that parties are necessary to help other candidates, but he is not a big fan of voting for a party.

“I always split the ticket,” he said.

Student political parties should really be around for one election, Ohms said.

“There is a bit more satisfaction in forming a new party with new ideas, instead of the same stuff year to year,” he said.

Anderson said he is really happy that SUP has continued on this year.

“I am really proud of SUP and where it has gone,” he said.

He hopes that even if SUP loses in the future, that it continues with the philosophy of representing everyone.

What’s up with ‘SUP’?

Whats up with SUP?

Coles Rogers, student vice president for student affairs, is running unopposed for student body president.