Another family legacy

Freshman Rayme Mackinson is second in the line of Mackinsons who played sports at Eastern.

Rayme is the younger brother of Jesse Mackinson, a men’s basketball player who graduated in 2004.

Jesse was a 6-foot-8, 210-pound forward for the Panthers, and played in every game for his first two years and averaged 7.5 points.

The brothers are both graduates from Pontiac High School.

Rayme ran track, played basketball and football in high school, performing well in the long-jump as well as sprinting.

This year at the Ohio Valley Conference Championships, Rayme finished sixth in the long jump with a jump of 22 feet, 7.75 inches.

“He’s gotten a lot stronger,” said junior hurdler Mike Embry, who also competes in the long jump.

Embry said Rayme has a good run and explodes well at the end, and that Rayme has gained confidence as he trains with guys that push him.

Embry giving up football for track

Hurdler Mike Embry normally would normally worry about both football and track and field practice in the spring.

This year he isn’t.

The former tailback from Lakeland, Fla., said he is not participating in the football next season and will focus solely on track and field.

He said he wants to follow his heart and it was the best decision at the time.

Embry played in thirteen games during his underclassman years, but did not see any playing time last year. He had four receptions for 44 yards in the 2004 season.

Big Blue Classic begins today

Today marks the first events of the Big Blue Classic hosted by Eastern.

Heptathlon and decathlon events begin 10 a.m. today at O’Brien Stadium.

The first event in the heptathlon will be the 100-meter hurdles for the women, followed with the high jump, shot put and the 200-meter dash.

The 100-meter dash will then start for the decathlon for the men. Events will continue on Friday and Saturday.

Women’s head coach Mary Wallace said Eastern had not entered any competitors.

“At this point in time, I don’t believe we have anyone focusing on (the heptathlon),” Wallace said.

Friday events start at 9:30 a.m. and Saturday events begin at 10:30 a.m.

Eastern looking for more steeplechasers

Senior Jillian Blondell and junior Kim Archer are the only steeplechasers for Eastern.

Blondell was named last week’s OVC female track athlete of the week for a first-place finish in the steeplechase at the Southern Illinois Collegiate Relays.

Distance coach Geoff Masanet said there has been no primary steeplechase runner this season.

Blondell and Archer post the second and third best time, respectively, in the OVC for the event.

There have been no male steeplechasers this season.

The steeplechase is a 3,000-meter race with a twist. Competitors have to jump over several hurdles throughout the race, and after they jump over the hurdle a shallow water pit awaits.

Masanet said he plans to enter some competitors this weekend at the Big Blue Classic.

He said Nate Atkinson is the strongest returnee, who’s only run two to three steeplechases at the collegiate level.

“The steeplechasers had a chance to run,” Masanet said. “We will have expectations but we won’t overdo it. It’s a tough experience. It’s forced deviation from pace with hurdles and a water pit.”

Hogue named male athlete of the week

Senior Austin Hogue was named the OVC male field athlete of the week last week.

Hogue posts this second best throw in the discus in the conference: 157 feet and eight inches.

Hogue was the OVC champion in the javelin in the 2006 outdoor season.

Hogue threw 194 feet at the Georgia Relays during spring break. It is the best in the conference this season.

Another family legacy

Another family legacy

Track and field athlete freshman Rayme Mackinson (File photo/The Daily Eastern News)