Extreme Makeover: Division Street

The widening and resurfacing of Division Street from Harrison Street to State Street started Monday.

Construction began last fall on the street because it did not meet the Illinois Department of Transportation standards.

“It’s going to be a safer road and something that we won’t have to maintain as much,” said Chad Isley, an engineering technician for Charleston.

Division Street will be closed during construction, but the residents who live on the road will be able to enter their homes, Isley said.

There are no detour routes set up, which might lead to a slight increase in traffic on Fourth and E Streets, but Isley believes that traffic on those street will not be a problem.

Even though Division Street is being widened, there will be no lanes added to the street.

“There is a one-block stretch on the north end that is narrow,” Isley said. “You can see where a lot of cars have been driving over the sidewalk.”

Along with the widening and resurfacing of Division Street, a retaining wall will also be built.

The retaining wall will be a decorative wall and no more then 3 feet high, Isley said.

The reason for the retaining wall is not uncommon.

“When you widen the road, it increases the slope of the grassy areas next to it,” Isley said. “You build a wall so you can flatten the slopes and maintain the grassy areas.”

The construction was postponed through the winter and is scheduled to last until July.

“The quality of this road before the construction was really bad,” Isley said. “It’s going to be safer and more drivable.”

Extreme Makeover: Division Street

Extreme Makeover: Division Street

Construction on Division St. started Monday afternoon. Construction extends from Harrison Ave. to State St. (Amir Prellberg/The Daily Eastern News)