Protection against identity theft

Four students attended a lecture Monday on identity theft, less than three weeks after computers that held the social security numbers of all Greek Life members were stolen out of the Student Life Office.

“I was surprised that we didn’t have a bigger turnout considering those events,” said Marissa Smith, financial health education coordinator.

The lecture centered on identity theft and understanding credit.

Smith led the lecture and talked about the advantages and disadvantages of owning a credit card, how to avoid credit card debt, how identity theft occurs and how to avoid it.

“It was very helpful because it gave tips on how to help fix your credit and maintain good credit,” said Candace Smith, a senior business management major.

For the past three years, the Financial Health Program has helped various student organizations understand credit and identity theft, but this event was planned last semester, Marissa Smith said.

“Our four basic topics that we try to increase awareness on is credit cards, identity theft, money management and gambling,” she said.

The program itself was developed four years ago.

Smith said high interest rates and falling behind on monthly payments are two major reasons people fall into credit card debt. Hacking computers and stealing information from businesses are two major reasons people fall victim to identity theft.

She said a great way to avoid identity theft is to shred documents and keep your Social Security card secure.

This lecture was in conjunction with African-American Heritage Month, but the Financial Health Program plans to start its own lecture series soon.

“Starting next Monday is the lecture series,” Marissa Smith said. “The first night will be credit cards and that will be more in-depth. Next Monday will (examine) identity theft more in-depth.”

Those lectures will be Feb. 19 and 26 in Lumpkin Hall Room 2020.

“I would have hoped for more, but I am still pleased with the turnout I had,” Marissa Smith said. “I am hoping that more people will attend the lecture series.”

Protection against identity theft

Protection against identity theft

Marissa Smith, financial health education coordinator speaks to people in Coleman auditorum about the pros’ and cons’ on credit cards and how to keep your self out of debt. (John Bailey/The Daily Eastern News)