Rec proposals introduced

Student feedback will be an important factor when it comes to the approval of three proposed additions to the Student Recreation Center.

The allocation proposals for a disc golf course, two additional elliptical machines and a 10-machine Life Fitness Circuit Series set were tabled at Wednesday night’s Student Senate meeting.

The three proposals would total approximately $50,000.

Student Senate members need to research where the money would be coming from along with asking questions to members who voted to appropriate money before, said Student Senate Speaker Jeff Lange.

“Do your research and talk to your peers,” said senate member Kent Ohms.

Student Body President Sean Anderson also expressed the same sentiment.

Senate members make promises to students to see what students want, Anderson said.

He said he would feel uncomfortable not talking to students about a large amount of money.

Levi Bulgar, student vice president for business affairs, presented the proposals to the senate.

The nine-hole disc golf course would cost $15,769 for equipment and installation.

The course would begin by the campus pond pavilion and use parts of the former campus golf course, Bulgar said.

The Life Fitness Circuit Series set uses hydraulics as resistance, he said.

The $23,026 set would be non-intimidating and easier to use for beginners, Bulgar said.

The two elliptical machines would cost $10,940, which Ken Baker, director of campus recreation, said are the most popular workout machines in the rec.

While some senate members were concerned that the disc golf course would only appeal to a small group of students, more members were concerned with the cost of the Life Fitness set.

There are plenty of machines already and they won’t do anything special, said senate member Nate Dissi.

Senate member Tyson Holder said that he talked to people about the machines and found that many were not in favor, but he would be talking to more people.

Baker will be at next week’s senate meeting to answer any questions or concerns that members may have.

The Apportionment Board previously approved the allocations.

A bylaw change was approved by a 19-4-4 vote. The change would require the Student Senate External Relations Committee to research and prepare information for the voting member of the Illinois Board of Higher Education-Student Advisory Committee.

Also, recently appointed senate member Ingrid McCallister submitted her resignation citing time constraints.

Rec proposals introduced

Rec proposals introduced

Student Senator Megan Ogulnick listens to fellow senator Richard Luce talk about Senate bylaw change 06-07-05. The bylaw change passed 14-4-4, and now makes it the responsibility of the external relations committee to research and prepare information for