Student Senate fills vacant seats

The seven vacancies on Student Senate have been filled.

Senate Speaker Jeff Lange made nominations for seven students to be appointed to the senate at Wednesday night’s meeting. All nominations were approved.

“It’s exciting to be part of something like this,” said newly appointed senate member Angelina Montleon. “You never think about how much (Student) Government does until you actually sit down at a meeting and listen to it.”

The appointees fill recent vacancies that include Mike Hilty, whose letter of resignation explained that he wished to concentrate more on his academics and fraternity.

Speaker Jeff Lange also announced that recently elected member Michelle Bosco will no longer be serving on the senate, but no letter of resignation was given.

Before the appointments were made, Student Body President Sean Anderson gave a presentation on the Student Organization Council.

The council is being formed to promote school spirit, community service and to network the Registered Student Organizations on campus.

It will also award RSOs for their commitment to the Eastern community, Anderson said.

The first meeting will be held Feb.15 for RSO presidents and treasurers.

A point system for RSOs will award them points for having regular meetings, participating in community service projects, attending athletic events and setting up a table at Pantherpalooza in September.

The RSOs with the highest points will possibly be rewarded with an office in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union, Anderson said.

In other business, senate members Issac Sandidge and Tyson Holder wore signs to protest a proposed campus-wide smoking ban.

In November, the senate passed a resolution that the requested the administration enforce the current smoking policy.

The current smoking policy only allows smoking in designated areas on campus.

After the meeting, Sandidge said he would like the senate to continue working on the smoking issue on campus.

Newly appointed Student Senate members:

Angelina Montleon

Corie Grider

Ashley Marrinson

Ingrid McCallister

Tyson Holder

Ashley Hoogstraten

Jen Wedig

Student Senate fills vacant seats

Student Senate fills vacant seats

New senators are sworn in during the student government meeting on Wednesday evening in the Arcola-Tuscola Room of the Martin Luther King Jr University Union. (Eric Hiltner/The Daily Eastern News)