Comedy and confusion

Eastern students greeted comedian Eddie Pence with open arms Friday, but the performance came with a little misunderstanding.

Freshman Karl Erickson was stretched out across one of the mantels in the back left corner of the 7th Street Underground toward the exit.

He rested his hand on his head while facing the stage, when Pence attempted to make a light hearted joke.

Pence asked the audience if she was awake.

There is only one problem.

Erickson is a guy.

“It happens to me at every comedy show I go to,” Erickson said. “Either my friends or me always get made fun of by comedians.”

Erickson went on to say that he sometimes tries to stand out and get made fun of, but he enjoyed Pence and said that there were no hard feelings.

Pence quickly turned the incident into a joke, but felt bad afterwards.

“I felt so bad about that,” Pence said. “I could see a figure, but I just figured that a women would be laying down, not a guy.”

Besides the misunderstanding, Eastern students packed the 7th Street Underground so full that, at the start of the performance, there was only standing room left.

Pence entertained the crowd through a variety of jokes with topics ranging from sex to animals. All the while, Pence managed to be very animated in front of the crowd.

“My better bits are the ones that I act out,” Pence said. “I try to make everything as physical as possible because that was the style I liked growing up.”

Pence demonstrated his style by rolling around on the floor of the stage for a good minute or two during the bit where he described the first time he was hit in the groin.

Pence also started his performance with broader, more relatable jokes and went into more specific jokes later on.

“I try to start out and do more gender jokes to get the audience on my side because people can relate more to that,” Pence said. “Then you can push it more, like I can talk about comic books and stuff like that, and by that point hopefully they like me and can follow me.”

Pence’s career began in Los Angeles 10 years ago, and he slowly made his way by performing at open mic acts and other smaller venues.

“The last four or five years things have started to take off,” Pence said. “I was invited to bigger sets and attended a comedy festival twice, which is a bigger deal.”

Pence also believed that he had a tough time reading the crowd. He said that most of the students enjoyed the performance, but there were moments where he did not have the audience.

However, he concluded that show went well.

“It’s a great school and I would like to come back,” Pence said.

Pence was brought to Eastern as part of the “Up All Night at the Union – Sportstacular.”

It also featured live entertainment, sporting competitions, food and prizes.

Comedy and confusion

Comedy and confusion

Justin Swim draws a caricature of Levi Bulgar, a junior pyschology major, in the MLK Union Friday night as part of University Board’s “Up All Night.” (Carrie Hollis/The Daily Eastern News)