Resolution set back to committee

A resolution requesting that the university place student teaching districts throughout the entire state was sent back to committee.

The resolution was introduced during Wednesday’s Student Senate.

Education major Sarah Grant addressed the Student Senate during audience participation.

Grant is from Dixon, which is not in a student teaching district.

Students are responsible for their own housing, and apartments are not cheap, Grant said.

It is a really good idea for education students, said Cole Rogers, student vice president for student affairs.

There are too many questions about the resolution, and it may not be responsible for Student Government to go ahead without answers, he said.

Jeff Melanson, Academic Affairs Committee chair and sponsor for the resolution, will continue to pursue the student teaching districts.

“I can go and make a case to the Council on Teacher Education without Student Government and without saying I’m the chair of Academic Affairs,” he said.

Melanson plans on doing more research and may bring it back to next week’s meeting.

In other business, two bylaw changes that would require Student Senate members to attend a hall council meeting or a Recognized Student Organization on a regular basis were tabled.

Students will be able to have more of a voice in Student Government, said Student Body President Sean Anderson.

With only 30 Student Senate members, there was concern that only 30 RSOs would be attended out of the more than 150.

This would allow picking and choosing of whom Student Senate wants to represent, said Student Senate member Carolyn Beck.

“I know a lot of you (Student Senate members) when you ran made a commitment to the students to be the voice for the students,” Anderson said.

Also, additional allocations for travel Conference on Student Government Associations (COSGA), travel to the Illinois Board of Higher Education Student Advisory Committee (IBHE-SAC) and for planning of the Illinois Student Government Associations Conference were overwhelmingly passed.

Jillian Ruddy has been removed from Student Senate for too many absences. Student Senate member Tiffany Turner will take over as the Student Relations Committee chair.

Resolution set back to committee

Resolution set back to committee

Eric Hiltner/The Daily Eastern News Student senator Jeff Melanson answers a question pertaining to Senate Resolution 06-07-11, a resolution to try and redistrict the areas in which education majors are allowed to student teach, during the student senate m