Sex Signals leaves audience laughing

Nearly 600 students showed up to Thursday night’s lecture titled “Sex Signals.”

Performers Kelly Hayes and Brandon Miller came to campus to present ideas about sex most students will deal with during their college experience.

“Don’t kiss on a first date,” Hayes says, but Miller rebuttals with “you need to get laid.” For many students, these lines are accurate portrayals of real life ideas.

But for others, these ideas may lead to situations students may not be fit to handle – and that is exactly what Hayes and Miller set out to prove.

Things got deep when the team brought up the topic of date rape. During the skit they put on, the male in the story went up to the room of a girl who was sending out all the right signals, except for the fact that she said stop.

What many students don’t realize is that no matter what signals a person is sending out, if the word stop is used, it becomes rape or sexual assault.

Another thing people don’t know is that “90 percent of sexual assaults happen when one or more parties consumes alcohol,” Hayes said.

As the lecture drew to a close, the team decided to end the night on a lighter note. They gave a few examples of ways to end a date, which had the crowd roaring with laughter.

Sandyn Short, audience member and clinical laboratory science major, said she thought the lecture was entertaining and had good messages.

Her friend and physical education major, Chelsea Adams said she thought “they covered a lot, and students can take something from the whole presentation.”

But the night didn’t end there. Outside the doors of the Grand Ballroom sat tables where students could take surveys and get free condoms as well as information on safe sex.

Sex Signals leaves audience laughing

Sex Signals leaves audience laughing

Brandon Miller “hits” on Kelly Hayes during their performance titled “Sex Signals” in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr University Union Thursday evening. (Eric Hiltner/The Daily Eastern News)