Soldier returns home

He was a first semester junior at Eastern when his National Guard Unit was called to duty, and he’s returning this fall to fulfill his education.

Sgt. David Closson returned with his 2nd Battalion, 130th Infantry Division May 5 and will be returning to the classroom after spending 16 months in Iraq.

“Our battalion was incredibly successful in all the missions in Iraq; everyone brings something different to the table.[Now I’m] looking forward to coming back and going to school,” Closson said.

Even though Closson has said he has always wanted to join the military, it was obviously hard for his parents waiting for their son’s return.

“I’m very relieved and a lot more relaxed now that he’s back home. It’s very hard to describe my emotions,” mother Peggy Closson recalled.

“It was an exhaustive, nerve-wracking roller coaster ride worrying about him, missing him and not getting to see him or talk to him frequently.”

Yet it was well worth the wait, as three celebrations were held for Closson’s division at Litchfield, Urbana, and Effingham. In addition, David came back with 11 military awards that included the Army Commendation Medal for Valor and Army Commendation Medal for Meritorious Service.

Closson, who comes from a military family-his father, Larry, is a Vietnam vet; his grandfather is a World War II vet; and he has a family with three generations coming from the Veterans of Foreign Wars-has made his parents very proud.

“I was proud to say he was my son even before he went into the service, but I was proud of him when he made the decision to join the Guard; he looked responsible, with honor and distinction,” noted Larry, who also is a retired seargent major from the Illinois National Guard.

But perhaps the biggest accomplishment for Closson is that he is not satisfied with himself and looks to major in Biology and hopefully get a job in Law Enforcement some day.

“In Iraq, we’d always say to look to the future,” Closson said.

According to Closson, at least 10 guys from the same platoon will be attending Eastern. One of those is Rank Specialist and sociology major Michael Southworth.

“[The experience] definitely changed me a little. I look at things a little differently now.I’m a lot more mature,” Southworth said.

Closson’s homecoming marked a sigh of relief for his parents, even though the feeling may not have sunk in right away.

“This past Sunday our family went to church and my husband and I had a delayed reaction to our son’s homecoming,” Peggy inched out, while holding back her tears. “Church is just so calming and relaxing that we had tears rolling down our cheeks because our son had safely returned home to us.”

Nothing has been heard from the Mattoon-Charleston area as far as any more celebrations for Closson or his company’s honor, but according to both Mattoon City Administrator Alan Gilmore and Charleston Mayor John Inyart, National Guard demonstrations first need to be taken into action from a family support group, as well as the National Guard.

Soldier returns home

Soldier returns home

Sgt. David Closson poses in the Iraqi desert.