UB breaks even on Foxworthy

Though not all the final costs for the performances by Jeff Foxworthy, the entertainment for Family Weekend, have been tallied, the University Board is expecting to break near even for the shows.

Cecilia Brinker, director of student life, said numbers added yesterday show the board will break even, despite overshooting on some original estimates.

However, the board is still waiting for more invoices and other bills to tally the official total that may put them over ticket sale profits and force them to use the $5 student concert fee.

The board estimated costs for the show to be about $96,745, but ended up spending over $102,360. Foxworthy was paid $80,000 for both shows.

Enough tickets were sold to cover the cost of the first Foxworthy performance grossing over $51,768 and the second show earning close to $53,650. The board gained a total of about $105, 417 for both shows.

“Right now we are expecting this show will break even, which is good,” Brinker said.

The concert committee started budgeting for Foxworthy in March and April and based estimates on past Family Weekend entertainment like Aretha Franklin and Bill Cosby. However, Brinker said planning that early often means guessing on certain fees that the board cannot be completely sure of until the show actually happens.

Of the $96,745 budgeted for the show, the board overestimated the most money on sound and light, ticket printing and advertising costs.

The board allotted $2,000 for sound and lighting, but spent $5,303. Brinker said the university based the original estimate on past shows and used the same company but ended up using four sides of Lantz Arena, when past shows only used three side. The added seats required more lighting and sound equipment, she said.

Estimated advertising costs also shot almost $2,300 more than projected costs. The concert committee budgeted $2,500 for radio, television and newspaper advertising but spent almost $4,800.

Brinker said the University Board advertised Foxworthy more than usual, causing the increased price. Typically, Family Weekend includes only one main stage show, and there was no need to advertise shows outside students, families and community residents.

However, when the board asked Foxworthy to do two shows, it spent more money on radio advertising in Decatur, Champaign and surrounding areas.

“That’s above and beyond typical marketing for Family Weekend shows,” she said.

The board also spent more money on printing tickets than expected, spending almost $400 more on print costs. Brinker said costs were estimated from past ticket costs, but the board needed to rush order the tickets to ensure they would be available to parents on time.

The board is still waiting to get invoices regarding radio giveaway tickets passed out as promotional tools. The board gave certain radio stations free tickets in exchange for free advertising time.

It planned to give away 20 tickets at $320, but Brinker said they ended up giving away more tickets that are still not accounted for.

Despite some overestimates, most projected costs ended up reflecting actual costs, Brinker said.

Also, some bills from radio advertising and refunded tickets have not been tallied into the total concert costs, she said.

Some estimates were underestimated which Brinker said may have saved the board from going over budget. Concert committee members and staff volunteered to work security during Foxworthy, saving $200. In addition, mailing costs were almost $300 less than expected.

UB breaks even on Foxworthy