Fest unites campus

The second annual Multicultural Unityfest’s “Fashion and Dance Showout,” presented by the Black Student Union, was a success, Monique Cook-Bey, assistant director of student life, said.

“The show was great,” said Fatimah Muhammad, a senior speech communications major, who was there as a representative of the GAP.

The program began with a presentation of plaques for the EIU Parents club, the Kappa Delta sorority and interim President Lou Hencken for their outstanding support of the Black Student Union, Cook-Bey said. She gave special thanks to Hencken, who was unable to attend, thanking him specifically for his outstanding support.

Soon after, Nastics and Binks, two Chicago-based performers, emceed the rest of evening with their comedic improv. Nastics said he has been performing on stage since the age of 10. Now 21, he and 20-year-old Binks were invited back to Eastern to emcee the evening after being hired for a poetry reading a few months ago.

Nastics and Binks have been performing together through Underbio Sound for over two years.

Some members of Kappa Delta then joined in beat with the Unity Step team and performed with a mix of songs from almost all genres.

The night continued with EIU Wear, a fashion show that presented 18 different people sporting the latest Eastern apparel. The models included Bud Wierenga, University Board concert coordinator, Katie Strejc, UB main stage coordinator and Student Body President-elect Alison Mormino. Models also wore latest designs from the GAP, Maurices, Deb, SNK and Roca Wear, who sponsored the show.

Although Cook-Bey hoped for an outcome larger than last year’s 500, about 120 people showed up. Still, the crowd was dazzled by the vocal talents of Heavenly Seven, a New York based a capella group. Eastern alumna Julia North said that her favorite part of the show was Heavenly Seven.

Friday night is the last part of Unityfest and will be held at 7th Street Underground. Admission to the show is $4 and comedian B. Cole, who has appeared on HBO’s Def Comedy Jam and BET’s Comic View, will perform with Eastern’s own Freestyle Circle.

Fest unites campus