Rotary comedy night at Sarah Bush Lincoln

Chicago comedian Greg Schwem will perform Thursday at Rotary Comedy Night, a benefit for the Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center’s Athletic Heart Scan Program.

The program was initiated six years ago to provide free heart screenings to sophomore athletes in 20 area schools.

“A number of young athletes have passed away while competing,” said Nancy Phillips, a Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center spokesperson. “What this does is read if there is anything to cause concern.”

The test is “a non-invasive, painless procedure that takes pictures of the way the heart is functioning,” Phillips said. More than 1,500 athletes have participated in the program, and potential problems have been detected in more than 200 examinations, according to a press release.

The event will begin with a reception and dinner at 6 p.m. Schwem, named “one of the top 10 Chicago comedians working today” by the Chicago Tribune, is slated to perform at 7:30 p.m. Schwem’s comedy includes “his hilarious views on today’s technology,” according to a press release. Event planners hope to raise about $12,000, Phillips said.

Rotary Comedy Night is sponsored by the Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Foundation and several area Rotary Clubs. For ticket information, contact a local Rotary member or the SBL Health Foundation at 348-2511.