All Access with baseball player Zach Borenstein

What made you choose Eastern?

They did a good job recruiting. I had a lot of fun on my visit. The guys on the team were cool, I liked the campus, they gave me a good offer, and it seemed like the right fit.

What’s the biggest difference from high school?

It’s tough, because every guy on the team was the star in high school. You come here and you’re a freshman and it’s ‘You’re a freshman, go do that.’ You’re not batting cleanup, and stuff like that. The competition is a lot better, but it’s fun. It’s definitely fun. It’s a challenge. Its just baseball, you just play.

What was it like to move from shortstop to the outfield?

I played short my whole life. Then I came here and after a couple weeks in the fall I was moved to third base. We’ve already got a couple guys at short that are locked in there, especially (senior) Jordan Kreke, and I worked with (assistant coach Sean) Lyons a lot at third base. (Senior Zach) Skidmore is the starter at third, so I learned a lot from him too. He’s a shoo-in at third, so they moved me to the outfield, and it’s worked out. I’m just trying to adjust.

How do you like your new position?

At first, it was kind of nerve racking, because I hadn’t been out there taking balls off the bat in a long time. I feel like it’s a bit easier than the infield. Practice is a bit more relaxed anyway.

Who has been the most influential person?

Probably my dad. I can think of a lot of people that have helped along the way, and that I look up to, but he has always been there. He is someone I can always fall back on.

Cubs or Sox?

Cubs, of course. This is the year. No, I actually don’t think we’ll ever win a World Series.ever. But I’ve got to stick with them.

What are your thoughts on the Jay Cutler pick up?

I’m shocked, more than anything. We have tried to get a good quarterback forever.

As long as I’ve been alive we’ve had below average quarterbacks. We’ve gone through like, 40. We’ve always had a running game and good defense. Hopefully we just launch the ball down to Devin Hester.

What is your favorite thing about Eastern?

The guys on the team. The dorms are alright. I’m sure being in an apartment would be better.

Mainly the guys on the team. We have a lot of fun and a lot of chemistry. We all get along really well. It’s cool to hang out with them at practice and on the road. We have a lot of fun.

How much support has your family given you?

More than enough. There were some times even earlier this year that it was tough coming in and not playing right away.

It was frustrating, but I could always talk to my brother and my dad.

My mom’s always there, even though she doesn’t really understand sports. They’ve always given me advice, even if it’s not what I want to hear, it’s what I need to hear.

What is your favorite sport other than baseball?

Basketball. I’ve played it my whole life.

What do you miss most about basketball?

Just the sport. It’s a lot of fun, it’s such a quick game. In baseball, if you make an out you have time and you can just dwell on it.

In basketball, if you shoot an air ball, you just have to get back on D. I wish I was taller, could jump higher.

What are three things you can’t live without?

I’ve got to have music, I love singing. Food and water, otherwise I’d be dead, and other people.

Richard Morse can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

All Access with baseball player Zach Borenstein

Freshman outfielder Zach Borenstein played shortstop in high school but has been a standout for the Panthers after moving to right field, where he has grabbed hold of the starter job. (Audrey Sawyer/The Daily Eastern News)