STAFF PICKS: Hardest position in baseball

Daily Eastern News “Staff Picks”
Daily Eastern News “Staff Picks”

The Sports Staff shared what they think the hardest position in baseball is.

Zaria Flippin (Head Sports Editor): Shortstop

I would say shortstop is the hardest position in baseball.

To be a shortstop, you have to be super quick, and you need to see practically everything that’s going on in the midfield.

If I played baseball or softball, I’ve always wanted to be the shortstop if I had the option because it feels like the shortstop has the most power to change the game in the infield.

I think one of the most important things a shortstop must do is make quick decisions. Sometimes, when the win is on the line and the only thing between a win and a loss is a double play, the shortstop has to be quick enough and smart enough to know when and where to throw the ball to successfully make a double play.

Luther Yoder (Assistant Sports Editor): Catcher

I believe that the hardest position in baseball is catcher.

A catcher has to do a lot during the game. They call the pitches, block bad pitches and have to throw out runners trying to steal bases.

In baseball, wins above replacement is used to determine how good a player is at their position compared to a replacement player. Fielding is taken into account in this stat, and, according to Fangraphs, catchers are given 12.5 fielding runs, which is the most of all the positions.

Fangraphs does this for their version of WAR, called fWAR, because they believe that it is harder to play catcher than it is to play another position. In comparison, shortstops get 7.5 fielding runs, and an easier position like first base gets negative 12.5 fielding runs.

Patrick Schmitz (Sports Reporter): Catcher

The hardest position in baseball must be the catcher because they have to do more than any other player.

The catcher is in charge of everything behind the plate and making sure the ball never gets away from them. Most catchers also tell the pitcher exactly what to pitch to throw and where to throw it.

The catcher also must ensure no one is stealing, and they get no breaks while playing defense, unlike most positions.

Overall, with how much that goes into playing catcher, that is the hardest position in baseball.  

Gabe Newman (Sports Reporter): Catcher

The catcher position is not only the hardest position to play in baseball, but it’s in the conversation for the hardest position to play in all of sports.

As a catcher, you have so many more responsibilities than anyone else on the field. You need to call pitches (or relay them to the pitcher from the dugout), receive and frame pitches, block bad pitches from getting to the backstop and captain the entire defense.

To be a catcher, you must be both physically and mentally locked in for every pitch, which isn’t necessarily true for any other position in baseball.

Aidan Cusack (Sports Reporter): Catcher

Hitting a baseball is hard, especially at the collegiate level. The ball is coming in at roughly 89 mph on average; For context, a cheetah tops out at 70 mph. 

Batters must make literal split-second decisions while they are at the plate. Luckily for them, they only come up to bat two or three times a game.  

Catchers, on the other hand, have to be at the plate all game. They must catch these 89 mph balls that, mind you, do not always go where they are supposed to. 

Catchers are tasked with framing most pitches thrown. Framing is when a catcher grabs an errant throw in such a way that the umpire might call it a strike.  

Controlling the strike zone as a catcher is essential to baseball teams, especially if pitching is suspect. That is why catching is the hardest position in baseball. 

Also, don’t even get me started on squatting for three hours during a game. 

Payton Liggins (Sports Reporter): Pitcher

I believe being a pitcher is the hardest position in baseball.

With being the pitcher, you have to adapt easily if you have a right or left handed batter. Pitchers have to deliver pitches quickly, which calls for extraordinary stamina, strength and accuracy.

Pitchers are also particularly prone to injuries because of the repetitive nature of throwing, which can cause serious wear and tear on the arm, especially the elbow and shoulder. Pitchers frequently find themselves in high-stress scenarios where they have to make accurate pitches to keep the other team from scoring, like bases loaded with no outs.

Furthermore, a pitcher’s job is distinct since their performance has a big impact on how the game turns out.

Pitchers can directly contribute to runs scored by the opposition by throwing errors, which can be offset by teammates in other positions.

Chloe Proffitt (Sports Reporter): Pitcher

In my opinion, pitching is the hardest position.

To start, it is very taxing on the shoulders and arms making it super easy for wear and tear, which puts them at a high risk for injury.

There are also a lot of technical skills that go into being a pitcher.

They must master a vast variety of different pitches, such as a fastball, curveball, slider or changeup.

They also must not only have a good physical game but also mental game. They essentially control the game when the other team is at bat, and they must invoke a lot of confidence on the mound as well. 

The Sports Staff can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].