Panthers lose to Flyers in first game of series

Sia DeyKoontz
Men’s Baseball team infield senior Cade Zalewski, plays against Bellarmine at Coaches Stadium on March 12, 2024.

The Panthers dropped game one of a three game series against the University of Dayton Flyers, 9-6 on Friday afternoon at Coaches Stadium. 

Going into the eighth inning, the Panthers had a 6-3 lead thanks to a go-ahead three run home run by redshirt senior first baseman Kolten Poorman in the bottom of the seventh inning.

Eastern’s senior right handed pitcher Jonathan Hanscom, who had retired the first six batters he saw since entering the game in the sixth inning, gave up a leadoff base-hit and followed it up with a walk.

With two outs in the eighth inning, Eastern’s head coach Jason Anderson decided to put fifth-year closing pitcher Zane Robbins into the game. Robbins got out of the eighth inning after loading the bases but gave up the game-tying RBI base hit to Flyer left fielder David Mendez.

Mendez ended up scoring after stealing third base and getting home on an errant throw by senior catcher Grant Lashure. Yamin gave the Flyers a secure lead with a two run home run. 

“We played eight innings of great baseball,” Anderson said. “We just can’t close it down. The bullpen keeps cashing us in and blowing leads late [in the game], and I don’t know what the answer is to it but that’s what keeps getting us. There’s no hiding it at this point.”

Senior right handed pitcher Colton Coca got the start for the Panthers. Coca pitched a career high of five innings, giving up five hits and three earned runs. Coca also had six strikeouts and two walks.

“[Colton’s starting] because he’ll compete,” Anderson said. “We had to take all our relievers and put them in the starting rotation because all those guys got hurt.”

Eastern’s pitching staff has dealt with numerous injuries prior to Friday’s game.

Redshirt junior outfielder Dylan Drumke led off the bottom of the first with a solo home run to cut the deficit in half.

After Dayton scored a run in the top half of the third inning, the Panthers tied the game thanks to an error by Flyers second baseman Ivan Arias.

Eastern continues their eight game home stand with game two of their three game series with Dayton on Saturday.

Panthers’ freshman right handed pitcher Bryce Riggs is scheduled to make his second start of the season. The first pitch is set for 1:05 p.m.

Gabe Newman can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].