STAFF PICKS: Favorite sports couple

Daily Eastern News “Staff Picks”
Daily Eastern News “Staff Picks”

Feb. 14 marks Valentine’s Day, and the sports staff shared their favorite couples in the sports world:

Zaria Flippin (Sports Editor): Russell Wilson and Ciara

My favorite sports couple at the moment has to be Russell Wilson and Ciara.

Even though the duos of Olivia Culpo and Christian McCaffery and Kelsey Plum and Darren Waller are also amazing, Russell Wilson and Ciara’s relationship is truly special.

They have to be one of the most underrated couples in the sport world.

While Wilson was on the field, Ciara is making amazing music, and early on their relationship, the two both dominated on the football field and on the stage in front of hundreds and thousands of fans.

The couple first met each other in March of 2015 and later got married in July of 2016, and the two have three children together.

Obviously, there are other amazing couples in the sports industry. I could go on all day about my favorite couples in the sports world, but there’s just something special that Wilson and Ciara have.

Even though they are slaying in their two different occupations, the two also work together as they have their own fragrance brand: The Fragrance Duo.

Their perfumes and colognes are sold on their own website, randcfragrance.com, and a portion of their sales and proceeds automatically go towards their foundation, Why Not You.

The Why Not You Foundation is a nonprofit organization was built to “empower change in the world, one individual at a time, and one child at a time.” 

Luther Yoder (Assistant Sports Editor): Kyle and Kristin Juszczyk

Kyle and Kristin Juszczyk are my favorite couple because they are both very good at what they do.

Kyle Juszczyk is the best fullback in the league right now and is very important to the success of the San Francisco 49ers. He has also made eight straight Pro Bowls and has been named to two all-pro teams.

His wife Kristin Juszczyk is one of the best designers of football merchandise, especially for women. She has made jackets for Simone Biles and Taylor Swift, and she now has a licensing deal with the NFL to be able to use their logos on any designs.

Her husband is also very supportive of her business. When pictures of Taylor Swift in a Travis Kelce-themed vest were all around social media, he made sure to comment that it was made by Kristin Juszczyk.

They are both very good at what they do and very supportive of each other, which makes them a good couple.

Gabe Newman (Sports Reporter): Zach and Julie Ertz

Personally, off-field relationships matter much less to me than on the field relationships. (You cannot tell me that the Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski on-field bromance wasn’t captivating).

With that being said, I have a lot of respect for Zach and Julie Ertz.

The two of them are both professional athletes.

Zach Ertz, while his prime is behind him, is a Super Bowl champion with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Julie Ertz is a retired two-time World Cup champion with the U.S. Women’s National Team.

The two of them have pushed themselves in their quest for glory and both have come out of the grind as champions.

They’re two successful people individually with their successes spurred from their ability to push each other physically, mentally and emotionally.

It’s rare that we see a relationship where both members are successful athletes, and the hard work that’s required to be a professional athlete makes it even more astonishing that these two have and continue to make it work.

Aidan Cusack (Sports Reporter): Kyle and Kristin Juszczyk

The Juszczyk’s (pronounced Yous-Check for those that don’t know) got some media attention unrelated to football this year. 

The all-pro fullback had been outshone by his fashion designer wife, Kristin Juszczyk, when she made Taylor Swift a particularly nice jacket that took over the internet for a few weeks. Kristin Juszczyk has designed jackets for multiple NFL teams, growing her fashion boutique. 

Kyle Juszczyk has been very supportive of his wife’s success on social media, with multiple Instagram posts and celebration tweets. In fact, Kyles Juszczyk’s Instagram has been full of Kristin Juszczyk even before her commercial success. For the past five years since they’ve been married, the Juszczyk’s have been very public about their relationship. Every game, vacation and special occasion came with a post. 

Of course, Kyle Juszczyk has quite a bit of success under his belt as well. After graduating from Harvard University, he was drafted in the fourth round by the Ravens. Eight Pro Bowls later, his success in the NFL has become cemented. He has been the best fullback in the league for the better part of the last decade and has been a part of two Super Bowl teams. 

Yet, the Juszczyk family is not just fashion and football. I’d be amiss not to mention their famous dogs as well. Mozzarella and Pierogi have 135 posts with 18,000 followers on Instagram. The two Vanderbilt Samoyeds have been posting for almost four years. 

Chloe Proffitt (Sports Reporter): Jason and Kylie Kelce

My absolute favorite celebrity sports couple is Jason and Kylie Kelce.

They both present themselves as very down to earth. Jason Kelce was a center for the Philadelphia Eagles, and he has three daughters with Kylie Kelce: Wyatt, Elliotte and Bennett.

During Kylie Kelce’s second pregnancy, she supported her husband at the Super Bowl where the Kelce brothers went head to head.

She brought her OB-GYN with because she was 38 weeks pregnant and wanted to be at the game. This just shows her genuine love and support for Jason Kelce.

Kylie Kelce also has a great relationship with her brother-in-law, Travis Kelce. This has been demonstrated on the Kelce brother’s witty podcast “New Heights.”

On the podcast, it was revealed that Jason and Kylie Kelce met on Tinder, and from that moment, the rest of their love story is history.

The two have a very sarcastic and fun relationship. They both support each other and are raising their three beautiful daughters together.

They have relatable personalities, and they simply just keep it real.

Cameron Thomas (Sports Reporter): LeBron and Savannah James

My favorite sports couple is LeBron and Savannah James. 

They have been together since high school, and Savannah James has been with LeBron James every step of the way. 

They also seem to have a great family with Bronny James playing college basketball and Bryce James trying to become a collegiate athlete. Also, LeBron James shows love to Savannah James when he is on the court, and when outside they always seem to be with each other, one recent example is the Super Bowl.

Savannah James seems like a great mom, and she stays away from the media and doesn’t indulge herself in the antics. LeBron James is also a great role model for the younger generation. 

All in all, I think it is a great couple because it’s been this way since day one, which is rare nowadays. They are a great couple and have a great story.

Patrick Schmitz (Sports Reporter): Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift

My favorite celebrity couple has been in the media quite a bit, as both are very polarizing. I am of course talking about Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift.  

Ever since they announced that they were dating, the entire sports world has taken notice. Everywhere they go, cameras are on them. The reason they are my favorite is because of how much they support each other.  

Kelce is seen at many of Swift’s concerts, always waiting for her afterward. Swift is at every Kansas City Chiefs game yelling loudly and acting like a true football fan.  

Swift has also brought in a whole new audience into football, which is great to see. Seeing a whole new audience get into football and understand why so many people love the sport is great for football.  

Some people may not like that Swift has brought in so many new fans who don’t understand the game, but overall, it’s good. Having so many new people find football for just one person is amazing. That’s why my favorite couple is Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift. 

Payton Liggins (Sports Reporter): George and Claire Kittle

With so many couples to choose from, my favorite couple right now will be George and Claire Kittle, with a high second of Jason and Kylie Kelce and maybe a third of Cody Ford and Tianna Robillard.

There’s something about a football couple that makes my heart melt. The way any sports wife supports their husband’s busy and long days: I just love it. 

But mentioning one of my favorite couples George and Claire Kittle, they are a dynamic duo.

I am in no way a 49ers fan. But these two, I’ll watch all the games just to see the Kittle family cheer him on.

The way Claire Kittle supports and cheers George Kittle on during the pregame gives me life.

I aspire to be Claire Kittle: support and be my man’s number one fan.

I was watching TikTok videos about them, and the way these two praise each other is so cute.

In the video, George Kittle was talking about how much he loves her support even when she isn’t feeling the best. The main thing he loves that she says is, “Go kick some butt.”

The way this couple compliments each other is amazing.

Claire Kittle already has that clear understanding of having her husband’s back and acknowledges how well he is doing.

I love this couple and how authentic they are with their fans.

George and Claire Kittle are my favorite couple right now because of how natural they are on camera and how much they love each other.

The Sports Staff can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].