How students are preparing for finals

Cam’ron Hardy

Finals week is known to be a time of stress and preparation. Students want to earn good scores on their finals as they close out the semester, but what are students doing to prepare for the final exam week?

Some students might be spending extra time in the library going over study material and others might be spending some time relaxing and getting in the right head space to prepare. There are many different ways in which students can prepare for finals and everyone’s style is different.

Graduate student Natalie Mitchem said, “I am preparing mentally by getting extra rest and studying.”

Preparing mentally is just as important as preparing academically. Finals week is often associated with stress and late nights studying but Mitchem sees an important factor of doing good on your finals is being in the right head space.

When preparing for finals, it is very easy to get off track of your sleep schedule and taking breaks and that could affect your performance. It is important to study and prepare but it is also imperative to take breaks to reset your mind and relieve stress.

It will be freshman geology major, Masyn Navarro’s first-time experiencing college finals week.

She said, “I have been studying with friends and taking extra time on all of my assignments.”

Group studying can be very beneficial for some students, it can help to study in groups and be able to throw ideas and thoughts around. It can also be beneficial to study in a group so you can stay on track as sometimes when you study alone it can be easy to get distracted or start working on other tasks.

“I have also noticed chewing gum helps me when I study, I feel that when I chew gum when I study and then chew the same type on gum when taking my exam helps me to remember information.” Navarro said.

There are many different ways to study and prepare for finals it is just about finding out what works for you personally. Finals week stress can be relieved by having a great schedule that allows students to take time to study and prepare all of your material while also being kind to your mind and knowing when you need to take a break from studying and give yourself a reset.

Kaitlyn Flynn can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].