‘For The Culture’, a way to get out for students

Cam’ron Hardy

On Friday, the Black Student Union (BSU) and the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) hosted “For The Culture” game night.

The event took place at the student recreation center on Court 5. The event brought out many organizations and minority students to enjoy a night of games.

Jordan Samuels, a graduate student majoring in technology, was there to interact with other organizations.

Jordan said it was cool to see organizations and students that are black come together and just have fun on campus.

“This night was fun and relaxing, we need more students to come out and just enough the little things like this at Eastern,” Jordan said.

He just wanted students to know about organizations and Greek because a lot of students come to college not knowing about these things to do and how to get involved.

Shaniyah Bolden, a junior fashion and merchandise major, was in attendance to help represent organizations and make connections.

“I have been on campus for about three years, and this is my first year stepping out my comfort zone and joining [organization] it feels good to just be out the dorm,” Bolden said.

Bolden said how stressful school can be and how someone can lose track of social life due to scholarship.

Iyanna Stanton, a senior journalism major, went to support and be there for organizations.

“Not attempting any orgs or [registered student organizations] until my last year made me a bit salty,” Stanton said. “I’m in my last semester having the best semester of my life, this should almost be mandatory and something that should be bigger than what it is rather than panther rally in your freshman year.”

Stanton talked about how students say campus is boring and how it does not do enough, but when events like this happen, a lot of students do not attend.

Kash McCaster, a sophomore criminal justice major, came out to support friends.

“My friends asked me to come, I hesitated, but didn’t regret coming out,” McCaster said. “Sometimes you gotta just get up and go.”

Some games that were available for playing were hula hooping, jump rope and hungry hippo.      When hosting these events, location is important on how many students are available to come. A lot of students work afternoon’s and evenings, which in retrospect, lower the attendance of these type of events.  With more of these events sporadically happening, it is giving more people chances to come out.

Hosting an event that can turn out bigger than expected can a lot be a problem to in extent because of not enough space for a larger audience.

The space was a good size for the student body that came out and attended the event.

Nero Jones can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]