Eastern ties Chicago State in second shutout of the season

Junior goalkeeper Chad Smith (1) was able to make key saves to get Eastern the shutout. (File)

The Panthers posted a shutout for the first time since their first game on August 28 against Governors State where they won 1-0, except this time they tied 0-0 against the Chicago State University Cougars.

Eastern has allowed four goals in the three games before Chicago State. Junior goalkeeper Chad Smith allowed five of those goals, but he was able to make crucial saves today.

“I thought I did well coming off of a lot of goals against us,” Smith said. “It felt like I fell back into it today. [I] felt strong in the air and strong with the back four. Good connections all around, good hands, felt pretty positive moving forward and took a step in the right direction.”

In the final minute Smith was able to save a corner kick from Chicago State to keep the game even. He ended the game with three saves.

“Of course, you’ve got to take your hat off to Chad,” Head Coach Josh Oakley said. “First game I think Chad’s really found his form and confidence. Not that he had to do a great deal but what he did in the last minute for us was big.”

Eastern had 10 shots in the game and 59% of their possession came in the attacking half of the field, but they weren’t able to convert on any of those shots with only two of them being on goal.

“We’re setting ourselves up well, creating chances, it’s just that final shot, final pass that needs to be just a little bit better,” freshman forward/midfielder Kyle Ward said.

Ward played outside back in this game and he had to battle against winds that were around 15 mph, and a left back in junior Donat Juhasz who is 6-foot-4 while Ward himself is 5-foot-9.

“The heading could be a little bit better, but the wind conditions didn’t make it easy,” Ward said.

“Kyle’s had to deal with the speedy wingers that he went one v. one with and then on top of that, [Juhasz] was so far forward on the field in possession that he had to deal with a pretty good solid player in that left back,” Oakley said. “He had a lot to do today, and he found time to get up the field and create probably our best scoring chance. That’s roommate to roommate, Kyle [Ward] to Kyle [Kimberling]. He played really well.”

Chicago State was able to get off 12 shots but only three of those shots were on goal.

“We defended really well as a unit and when we did get the counterattack we went forward as a unit really well,” redshirt-sophomore midfielder Anton van Efferink said. “We played in their half decent at times, but like I said we just got to make sure we put away our chances.”

Luther Yoder can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].